News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to the board. Looking for help.

Started by daloca, May 31, 2006, 06:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daloca

New to the board.  Bought a 2001 Tiger a little over a month ago.  It has 11K on it.  My first Triumph and I love it.  Great bike.  

I searched the board and couldnÌt seem to find anything so thought I would ask.  After having the bike for a couple weeks I looked down and noticed that the clock was telling the incorrect time.  I went to reset it and then it went dead.  Then a couple of days later I took the bike to get some air in the tires and when I went to start it again it was dead.  Had to jump it off and then it was fine.  Clock seemed to work fine again as it was back on and keeping the correct time after setting it.  Then after it sat for a week I got on it to take it to work and the clock was dead.  It started fine no problems so I went to work.  Went to lunch on the bike and the clock came on half way through the ride.  Came back to work and then when I left to go home the clock was out again.  I also noticed that the trip had reset itself back to zero.  Rode home, bike was fine.  

Week of rain came so it sat again.  Yesterday started up fine, clock was working trip was at 19 miles.  Took it out for a ride clock stopped working.  Stopped to put gas and notice trip had set to zero again.   Not sure if I just need to change the battery or if I am dealing with a larger issue.  Anyone had this happen.  

Thanks in advance.  Also thanks for the great board I have found so much useful information before and after purchasing my new bike.

GatorTiger

Hi there!

I would start with verifying that the battery connections are tight. Next is the fuse. Also check if all the connectors are tight...

This all assuming that the battery is still fine...
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

daloca

Thanks,

I am going to test the battery this weekend.  I figured that it might be the problem when it was just the clock.  It was when the trip started resting that I started to get concerned.

barjan

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Easiest is to check the connection of the fuses. Change is, it's some connector in the fairing. If the bike runs and starts fine, the battery is probably o.k.

Also check if the wiring loom around the steering head is in good shape. Are there any after market goodies running on elektricity on your bike. Does it have an alarm fitted?

NortonCharlie

The clock and the trip milage and power socket are on the same circuit.  It is your auxilary fuse.  My guess is a loose battery cable but if not it is in the auxilary circuit.  Check the fuse it is a 10A if anything is shorted enough to drop the clock and reset the trip milage it should have blown the fuse.  Good luck, loose battery terminal most likely.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

daloca

Thanks everyone,  

I will check the cables and fuses and let you know.  

No extra goodies or alarm.  It has been running fine so I hope it is just a cable or fuse.  

Thanks again!

daloca

Fuses were fine, checked the connection it seemed okay.  Tightend battery cables.  Seemed like everything was fine.  Reset clock and took it out for a 30 mile ride.  Still good.  Get up the next day ride it 15 miles to work still fine.  Going home that afternoon I notice the clock was blank again but the trip was fine.  By the time that I got home the clock was bag on but had reset.  Parked it, later that night put the key in and sure enough the trip reset back to zero.  I checked all the cables that I could get my hands on everything seemed okay.  Set the clock last night and it was fine this morning.  Wondering at this point if I need to taking things off to try and find a bad connection or if there are any other quick checks I can do.  

Thanks again.

JRO

I think the problem is clear:

Quotea couple of days later I took the bike to get some air in the tires and when I went to start it again it was dead. Had to jump it off and then it was fine. Clock seemed to work fine again as it was back on and keeping the correct time

Air pressure.  Like you said; after this, you let it set for a week.  Pressure probably went down.

If the bike won't start, or the clock won't keep time - check you tires.
JRO

2006 Tiger

barjan

Don't forget to check the negative battery connection on the bike. (Please feel free to correct this to proper englisch).

Follow the negative (black) connection from the battery to where it is connected to the bike. This connection is quickly overlooked and can cause the same problems as loose battery connections.

Other than that you want to remove the fairing. This isn't difficult, just a few bolts (remove the screen, remove the indicator caps, remove the fairing) and inspect the connectors.

Good luck

Jim S

Sounds like a block connector failing somewhere on the bike, remove the fairing, not too hard, just a few allen screws once the screen's off. check all the block connectors for any sign of corrosion. Clean any that look faulty and I give mine a coat of grease to stop recurrance of the corrosion.

This is quite common on bikes that sit for long periods unused, or bikes parked at coastal locations. Winter time the salt off the roads gets everywhere and no amount of cleaning will remove it all. Also sea air gets into all the unreachable bits. I've seen this quite a bit on the Jap bikes I've worked on over the years. Hope this helps.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

daloca

Thanks again everyone.  I will take the fairing off this weekend and check everything.  I did figure out one more piece of info.  I rode it to work yesterday clock and trip both fine in morning for entire ride.  Coming home that afternoon the everything fine for about 5 miles, then clock goes out but the trip was fine.  Got home turn the bike off.  Then turn it back on and trip was at zero.  The same exact thing happend before.  Once the clock goes the trip will always go after turning the bike off.  Hopefully still a connector just thought it was interesting to start seeing a pattern.  I will let you know what happens.

daloca

Just an update, I finally gave up.  I had to take it in for the 12K service $800 ouch.  They said they went over all the connections, wire harness, and everything else and couldn't find anything.  That was last night, as of this morning trip and clock are still working.  I guess I will know when I ride home to night if the porblem was fixed.  

The main reason I wanted to post was to say that the Tiger is an unbelieveable bike.  I thought it was amazing before the service, now that everything has been re-dialed in it is even better.  Sure it was a little pricey but the ride is worth it.  I don't think there is a better bike out there.  Glad to be a Tiger owner.  

Thanks again for all the suggestions.