News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Short legs

Started by tnoisaw, July 22, 2006, 08:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnoisaw

Hey guys- new guy here. I donÌt own a Tiger but am looking into it. I was wondering if any of you with short legs have any problems on the tiger. My inseam is 29Ó and I donÌt want to hang half way off the bike when I stop. Thanks. :D

gatling

I have a 29-inch inseam, too.  With the seat in the low position, it's not a problem.  Can't push bike backwards up a hill, but I just get off and push if necessary.  Don't let that stop you from buying what I think is the greatest bike I've ever owned.
Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

tnoisaw

Quote from: "gatling"I have a 29-inch inseam, too.  With the seat in the low position, it's not a problem.  Can't push bike backwards up a hill, but I just get off and push if necessary.  Don't let that stop you from buying what I think is the greatest bike I've ever owned.

Thanks. My brother who is also on this forum was giving the tall side but I was giving the dark and handsome. :D

wasions

Gee, Tony.  I guess you've decided to hang on to that broke foot for awhile, eh?

He really just wants it because of his name.  You know, "Anthony the Tiger".

A Tiger would burn way less gas than that Bimmah.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

Flying Tiger

I've got a 30" inseam and ride a 2002 Tiger with the seat at the lowest setting.  I can tip toe  or shift my butt off to the right to "tripod" flat foot on my right foot at stops.  I've owned an enduro Yamaha XT400 and XT600 in the past and have grown acustomed to, and am comfortable on tall bikes.  

When riding, I just plan ahead aand try to make sure that my stops are on firm level ground.  As with any big bike, keep it level and pointing straight at a stop.  

I do as Gatling does when backing up.  Get off and push.  (hey you do what you gotta do...who cares what the "posers" think.)  It's an adventure-touring bike, not a low riding cruiser, right?

My engine guards and pannier racks help to minimize worries of major damage should a tip over occur.  No tip over yet.  :lol:  :shock:

I didn't lower mine because I like the suspension travel an don't mind the height but, certain model year Tigers (like my 2002) can easily be lowered because of the rear axle/swing arm design.  Then you can "raise" the fork the same amount as the rear.  Of course your suspension travel will be less than stock.  But that's an option to consider if your looking at used ones.

It's all up to your comfort level, some riders need to flat foot.

tigerrob1090

hiya     i,m 5"8 & short in the leg i get on ok with tiger ....go for it.... you are higher than a range rover driver when your moving ...see ya  :D
tiger time not work time..........!

Green Lantern

Quote from: "tnoisaw"Hey guys- new guy here. I donÌt own a Tiger but am looking into it. I was wondering if any of you with short legs have any problems on the tiger. My inseam is 29Ó and I donÌt want to hang half way off the bike when I stop. Thanks. :D

Even with the seat in the lowest position you may have some problems. I would test ride one first. I'm 5'11'' and have a 32'' inseam. I ride with the seat in the middle position (the lowest position pitches me to far forward) and have minor problems with the Tiger when backing up or when stopped at a stop light. It's nothing major just a minor pain in the ass. But I'll tell ya, that speed triple is looking mighty nice right now.

tnoisaw

Quote from: "wasions"Gee, Tony.  I guess you've decided to hang on to that broke foot for awhile, eh?

He really just wants it because of his name.  You know, "Anthony the Tiger".

A Tiger would burn way less gas than that Bimmah.

I think "Tony the Tiger" sounds better.  :D

wasions

As he stated before, Tony is my brother.  Although we have similar interests, Tony's usually been the one to take his adventures to a higher level.  I'd like to say that I'm the safety-conscious one, but I've been seen helmetless from time to time.

Tony has one semi-serious limitation that I'd like to address.  Several years ago, he shattered his femur in a free-climbing accident on Oahu.  He's very fortunate to have gotten out of that one alive.  Since that time, his left leg has been a rather constant source of aggravation.  In particular, his ankle has vexed him over the years, (due to that leg being shorter than the other) even to the point where recently he was considering amputation.  With that in mind, I'd like to make some brotherly suggestions:

Okay Tony.  I've been giving this some thought.

The Tiger is a marvelous machine, and I've no doubt that you would love it's power, handling, and general versatility.  But it's also a very heavy bike, and not only heavy, but top-heavy.  With a 33-inch inseam, I almost flat-foot it with the bags on, but that didn't keep me from (as gently as possible) laying it on it's side when I stalled in a hard right from a standstill.  Once it was past a certain point, there was no other option.  I'm convinced that if my leg had been any shorter, it would have crashed down quite hard, probably taking me with it.  You'll find other testimonies to that effect in this forum.

I think a better choice for you, considering who you are, where you live, and the type of riding you'd likely be doing most, would be a BMW F650GS or GS Dakar with the low-seat option ( http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=f650gsd ).  If you're afraid a 650 might not be 'up to it', remember that when I (we) first started riding, folks were touring the country on Honda 160/175's and the speed limit on I80 through Iowa was 75.  The F650 can easily be equipped with a full complement of bags for loaded touring, and is probably way more adept at rough going than the Tiger.  To top it off, good used ones are almost always available, and because of the marque, I would guess, more likely to be well maintained than most of the J-650's out there.

Just my 2 pennies.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

tnoisaw

Quote from: "wasions"As he stated before, Tony is my brother.  Although we have similar interests, Tony's usually been the one to take his adventures to a higher level.  I'd like to say that I'm the safety-conscious one, but I've been seen helmetless from time to time.

Now Steve- I seem to recall a certain photograph of you on a motorcycle sans helmet while you are sitting on your crutches from a previous, if I recall correctly, motorcycle mishap. Yes this was many, many moons ago. I guess heÌs wised up since then.

One thing I will not do is go helmetless. I already tried to scramble my gray matter once on the before mentioned climbing/falling accident. Hence the ten staples to close up the laceration on the top of my skull.

Honestly I have thought about the my limitations as related to what motorcycle would better suit me. I often wonder if even considering a on/off road bike would be foolish on my part. Not that that ever stopped me before (the foolish part). Since the subtalar bone in my ankle is now the host of two very long screws thereby immobilizing it, I am considering more of a road bike (Triumph ST comes to mind though I would like taller hander bars than the ST offers).

I hope this doesnÌt mean I have to give up the unicycle? I could just land on my face should I fall off therefor saving my bad ankle.