News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Started by WildeKurt, July 03, 2006, 07:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildeKurt

Any tips for this?  T took the caliper off.  It looks like the pin holding the pads in is to the rear of the caliper and removed with an allen wrench.  Only this seems to be on very tight.  I assume it's the usual lefty-loosey type of bolt.  Also, anyone have the torque specs for the caliper mounting bolts?

Kurt

Foxy

Rear caliper mounting bolts should be 28Nm.

The allen bolt should undo in the normal way, but can become stuck after a while. Might be worth a few dowsings in penetrating oil first.  Make sure you clean and grease this and anything else (especially the slider pins) before refitting to make it easier next time.

I normally remove the retaining pin before the caliper, having the caliper still fixed makes it easier to brace against,  not that it should need much force. I also have a good scrub up with brake cleaner so that the calipers stay healthy.

Brother Number One

I've had similar calipers before and the quality can be a bit shite.  I managed to round off the allen bolt you're having trouble with (I was probably using an Ikea allen key) so make sure you use a good allen key.

:D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

WildeKurt

Got it off.  The rear pin was REAL tight.  The others OK.  Piece of piss in the end.  Yes, leaving the calipers mounted when taking the pin off helps a lot.

WildeKurt

By the by I got 19K miles on the rear pads (they were shot).  Did the fronts too since I had the tools out.  Right side about 75% gone and left around 60%.  These were the original EBC pads.  I replaced with the same.

Brother Number One

I hate EBC and go Ferodo whenever possible :shock:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Foxy

Original EBC? Should be Nissin. Anyway - 19,000 out of a set of pads? I wish :(

JRO

I haven't had any problems with EBC replacement pads, except they really squeel when new.
JRO

2006 Tiger