News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Shock has arrived

Started by obsean, June 23, 2006, 06:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obsean

O.K. Folks

My new shock just arrived, I got tired of doing the tiptoe thing, it's going to lower the big cat by 2.5 inches.  I know some other people on this forum have made the same mod, and they talk about having the front end adjusted to match the lower position in the rear.

Just what "adjustments" are you guys having done?  I'm a mechanic by trade, and it seems I could handle whatever needs to be done, I just don't know what it is that gets done.

Any enlightment would be greatly appreciated....

Jim S

You can drop the fork legs in the yolks as far as possible, I would think you'll get an inch or so lower. Simply slacken the yolk bolts clamping the fork legs and slide them both up into the yolks, make sure they're the same drop and tighten up the bolts again. I saw a steamer with the same done last week. The guy had turned the offset adjuster on the back wheel from the top to the bottom which gave him a couple of inches drop at the back then lowered the front to suit. You can't do that with the Girly, different swing arm and adjuster.

Best of luck mate.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

obsean

I just got back from a test ride on the new lower and softer rear shock, and I have to say that I love it!!!!

I lowered the front shocks as low as I could get them, by sliding them up through the fork clamps, which lowered the front about 1.25 inches.  The ride is great!!!

The rear shock came factory built to my weight and type of riding, and it has made a huge difference in the way the rear end behaves.

If any of you are considering this mod I would highly recommend it, and the removal and installation was a piece of cake!!!!!

Just remember to cut your side stand about 1.5 inches shorter.

And, pray, tell us the make of your new wonder shock.

obsean

It is a Wilbers brand shock.  The website is www.wilbersusa.com

obsean

It is a Wilbers brand shock.  The website is www.wilbersusa.com

There's an echo in here, in here, in here,  in here, in here.

Eric

The service manager at my Triumph dealership was asked about installing a Wilbur and lowering the front end. He was much against it, saying would do so would significantly alter the ride and 'balance' of the bike. Is he just spouting Triumph-speak or are there real handling and safety concerns. I sure wish my Tiger was and inch or more lower.
Eric Walburgh

06 Tiger

iansoady

I've lowered mine both ends (front about 25mm, back a little more by rotating the eccentrics) and IMO it handles as well if not better than it did before.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

tyrebyter

I'd lowered mine with a Works adjustable length shock and the fork tube routine. I found no ill handling but just didn't like it squatted down so adjusted the shock up to stock length and pull the tubes back down. Predictions of doom for changing the geometry are often over-stated. Probably lawyer's advice.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple