News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

boiling tigers

Started by skully, July 16, 2006, 08:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skully

help my tigers boiling up like a kettle !!! is this normal :(
i\'m not a number i\'m a free man

greg

2004 Girly.

apache

Headgasket gone south pressurizing the coolant system?

echoyankee

After I turn the bike off, it does gurgle a bit as the system depressurizes and the overflow tank fills up.  (Do keep that coolant level closer to the 'min' mark.)  I would call this normal.  

Now, if things are frothing over or you see smoke, that's another story.  

I have already posted a couple of threads dealing with my own scorch job.  Well, not as bad as others.  

First Thread

and

Second Thread

for your consideration.

Best,

echoyankee

german

you bike has air in the coolant sys. you need to perform a bleeding in the  temp sens/cap manifold. it is located under the fuel tank in the left side.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

Sasquatch

Replace your radiator cap as well.  Your local flaps will carry one for import cars.  About $6.  I find that any amount of crud building up under the cap causes the system to purge to overflow sooner than it should.  Then it builds up air in the system and it all goes down hill from there.

stevea

I have a 2000 855i Tiger and had boiling problems.  A new automotive radiator cap cured the problem.  I don't remember what automobile the cap fits, but it is a 13 PSI cap.  I have had no boiling problems since.

skully

thanks for all the ideas, the airlock will be the first on my dealers list to try as he now has the bike in to repair an oil leak from the cam cover gasket, i'll keep you posted !!  :wave

skully

thanks for the help chaps the dealer said blown head gasket £400 - to £500 :(    after all your advice i told him to try just replacing the radiator cap  :smt115        and that turned out to be the fault  fixed for £13  what a joke !!!    thanks all, and good riding   :smt040

iansoady

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Replace your radiator cap as well.  Your local flaps will carry one for import cars.  About $6.  I find that any amount of crud building up under the cap causes the system to purge to overflow sooner than it should.  Then it builds up air in the system and it all goes down hill from there.

Just an observation on this - the system is designed so that any coolant pumped into the overflow tank should be sucked back into the engine when it cools down. Unless of course you have the dreaded crossed-over pipes problem - http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2405&start=15. I've now fixed this on mine but I had to put about 1 litre of coolant in.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650