News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

just one thing

Started by gary martin, August 21, 2006, 02:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary martin

got my 04 tiger last tuesday and i have to say i done good!  it had just over the break-in mileage when i bought it - actually less miles than the "new" 06 the dealer had!  i'm EXCEEDINGLY happy with the bike but have just one question:  

when starting it cold (cold meaning air temp around 75 deg. F and bike has sat overnight)  it usually takes at least 3 tries before it wants to run.  i always have it in neutral, the clutch in, and no throttle.  is this normal?  later on if i stop on a ride it'll start right away.

fwiw i name all my bikes :oops:  was thinking of Daniel the Striped Triger in honor of a Pittsburgh homeboy, Mr. Rogers, but decided on Grommit of Wallace and Grommit fame to honor the bike's Brit origin.  my wife rejected that name for her mini cooper so i'll claim it!

btw, i'm happy to see a picture of my bike in the upper left corner :wink:
West Penn BMW - a small contingent of trouble makers.  04 Tiger-Gromit; 04 Guzzi evT-Jezebel, princess of pleasure and pain; 84 Honda CT110-Little Red Riding in the Hood; 70 BMW R50/5-Dudley

No, it's not normal to take 3 goes to start it. It should go first time after about 3 revolutions of the engine. Maybe it needs that first service.

gary martin

Quote from: "Blacktiger"No, it's not normal to take 3 goes to start it. It should go first time after about 3 revolutions of the engine. Maybe it needs that first service.

dealer said it was done.  i think the mechanic just did the paperwork :roll:
West Penn BMW - a small contingent of trouble makers.  04 Tiger-Gromit; 04 Guzzi evT-Jezebel, princess of pleasure and pain; 84 Honda CT110-Little Red Riding in the Hood; 70 BMW R50/5-Dudley

patsy mack

Gary,

Try this when you first turn on the key wait a few seconds you'll hear the fuel pump pumping up to pressure then hold the clutch in and hit the starter this may solve your problem. let me know if this works.

Pat

gary martin

Quote from: "patsy mack"Gary,

Try this when you first turn on the key wait a few seconds you'll hear the fuel pump pumping up to pressure then hold the clutch in and hit the starter this may solve your problem. let me know if this works.

Pat

okey-doke.

gary martin

Quote from: "gary martin"
Quote from: "patsy mack"Gary,

Pat

okey-doke.

i made sure all the electric gizmo whirring was done before hitting the starter but i still had the same problem.  took it to the shop so they could see if it had the updated software and they said it did.  coincidentally, though, the bike's now firing right up on the first try so the problem's gone!

Mechanoligist

My 05 does the same thing 3rd try every time. I know it is running a little lean but haven't had time to take it to the dealer
Just along for the ride

tigerhund

My 2004 does this same thing when it is 'cold' regardless of air temp--it takes about three tries to start it.  Once warm, it fires off faster, but not instantly, as my wife's 1999 Tiger does, cold or warmed up.

My entire FI system was replaced under warranty by a very reputable Triumph dealer/mechanic, and the bike still starts in the same way it did before.  The programming in mine was checked when the FI system was replaced, and everything is to spec.