News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New '05 Tiger - $8500 Out The Door! - should I buy it?

Started by NCGS, October 07, 2006, 02:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCGS

Gents.. Looking for a little free advice.

I'm seriously contemplating picking up a leftover '05 Tiger at Capitol BMW in Raleigh.  I sat on the bike today..  it's sweet, and I love the Lucifer Orange color.  It's brand new, no demo miles, no test ride miles.. it's just been sitting there.

Orange Tiger

The bike can be bought for $8500 "Out The Door", which in NC means that I'd be buying the bike for just under $8K (before taxes and license fees).

Man, I dunno.. I know this is a Tiger forum, and y'all are going to be somewhat biased,.. but what d'ya think?  I did own a '05 R1200GS, which was probably the nicest bike I've ever owned, and I've thought about replacing it with another.  But the Beemer would cost me over twice what I can buy the Tiger for.

Couple things to ponder..

-  What special things should I be looking for or thinking about before the purchase?  

-  It doesn't have a center stand; what's that going to cost me?

-  I'd need to bring the bars back a bit.  Who makes a good quality set of bar backs?

-  Can I lower the pegs an inch?

-  I need to pick up a travel trunk - who makes a good one?

Thanks for your advice up front.

Chris in NC

noivson

:P  Sounds very good! I'm partial to the Lucifer Orange myself.  Centerstand is $200. It makes routine maintence easier. Lowering pegs? Have heard of it being done, but you can also raise the seat. (Adjustable)  OEM top box is on the expensive side. Just look around the 'net, plenty of pics and ideas! Of course all the Triumph accessories match and can be bartered in the deal.
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

toddtruby

What happened to your 05 BMW?

NCGS

Quote from: "toddtruby"What happened to your 05 BMW?

I was diagnosed with cancer of the throat in December, and I had a payment on the bike.  At the time I didn't know if I would make it or not, so I unloaded it (for what I owed on it) so my kids wouldn't have to worry about making the payments.  Probably over-reacted, but from what I'm told that's not an uncommon thing to do when confronted with a situation like that.

After spending quite a while searching the net last night for info on Tigers, it appears that the $8500 asking price isn't out of line - low-mile used '05's are going for less than $8K, with accessories.  

I'm still on the fence.  Beemers are expensive, but there's a reason why.  I may buy another.. but I want to look at all my options first.