News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

should I get a Tiger?

Started by Northern Rider, October 03, 2006, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Rider

Hi,

I am thinking of trading my KLR650 for a Triumph Tiger to get a more road worthy machine. I just spotted this bike and it strikes me as a good deal. It is a 1996 Tiger 900cc with only 26,000km (16,000mi). Any known issues with that year? Strenght and weaknesses of the bike, thoughts, etc...

thanks,
Alex

Mudhen

How are you at doing your own wrenching?

There are a few things that are a pain with the early bikes - airbox, front sprocket cover, sprag clutch, alternator bolt (DAR).  Search on 'steamer' (slang term for the '93-'98 Tigers) and some of those terms and you'll start to piece it together.

Have you ridden it yet?
\'96 Steamer

Northern Rider

I can't say that I am that mechanically inclined...but willing to learn. Some friends are good mechanics. Is getting part for a 1996 a problem?

I have not ridden the bike but from the reviews I read it might be what I am looking for. I will of course try the bike before buying it. Do you need a 34 inches inseam like a KLR to be able to flat foot the bike?

thanks guys,

later.................
Alex

Tri2Fly

1. They're tall and top-heavy, especially when full of fuel, but if you can handle your KLR at low speed, you can handle a Tiger. (I'm only talking about on-road here;  if you take it off-road, take friends to help you pick it up.)  The '96 can also be lowered by tinkering with the eccentric chain adjusters and the fork leg/triple clamp configuration.

2. It will tip over some day.  On the day before it tips over, install engine bars.  Thunderbike (NZ) and Hepco & Becker (DE) make them for the steamers.

3) Centerstand available from SW Motech (DE), and, apparently, nobody else.  

4) Pannier racks and topcase racks available from Hepco & Becker, and, apparently, nobody else.

5) My dealers never have parts in stock, but they can usually get them in from Atlanta in 7 - 10 days.  Plan ahead for your service procedures.

6) The 885 triple is a great engine.  The bike around it is a good performer.  Living with it can be difficult because it was engineered to be put together, sold and ridden, period.  Taking it apart and putting it back together (for mods and services) can be trying.  If you have everything done by the dealer, that's their problem.

7)  I love my '97.  It's one of the GREAT bargains in motorcycling today.

Regards,

RR

Northern Rider

Thanks guys appreciate your comments.

cheers,

A
Alex