News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2000 EFI tiger exhaust question-help!

Started by fxrs89, January 13, 2007, 06:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxrs89

I have the 2000 Tiger EFI and put on the Thunderbike exhaust.  It still hooks to the under-engine balance box (muffler/Cat?).  I could have used an adapter tube from Thunderbike to get rid of the breadbox pre-muffler, but the tube would intefere with my centerstand.

I want to know if any members have cut and gutted the pre-muffler and re-installed it? I wonder if gutting it would improve my performance?  Maybe the empty chamber would even give a better midrange power than just the stage II tube to replace it and I can keep my centerstand?

Help if you have any ideas?

Ron-Ridgecrest, Ca

2000 Tiger EFI
Time flies like an arrow-

But fruit flies like a banana...

Chris Canning

What you need it is Triumph's bypass pipe that works with the center stand,bypass pipe versus collector box,you'll get more HP with the bypass and more torque withe collector.

fxrs89

I didn't know Triumph made a bypass pipe for the 2000 (885 CC) EFI.  If they do, do you happen to know the availability?  Is it part of the off road pipe kit?  

Or is it only for the 955 CC EFI, like all the good stuff is?

I tried the Thunderbike bypass, It just won't work with the centerstand, and my local muffler shop doesn't want to bend Stainless steel in such a small space, claiming stress cracking.

Thanks for the help and the reply!

Ron- Ridgecrest, Ca

Foxy

I fail to see why the centre piece would lead to less torque, indeed I even recall seeing dyno graphs that show more torque. Unless you can suggest how an engine would produce more power for less torque over the same rev range when power = revs x torque.

And yes, it is a pain that the Thunderbike centre piece doesn't fit with the centre stand!

Chris Canning

The bypass pipe came as part of the kit for the 900i,there was a lot of who haa about running the collector box( i was told not to at the time) with the race can and did the Race Tune work with that combo!!!,all a long time ago i'm glad to say.

Re the torque and HP thing ,away from the fact that it reved better with the bypass pipe on,pulled at least a gear better with the collector can, have a look at any number of after market pipes you'll see a bulge in the pipe,if it's a road system!,one of the best examples?,BM 1100s's,that were were they get the torque from, the collector box has the same effect,the problem being,they(Triumph)  realised they'd pitched in too low with the 900i and soon brought out the 955 which last what ? 6 years.

The reason i say pitched in too low,i asked e'm on a factory visit in 2000,why not a 955 straight way,i was accused of being wise with hind sight!!!!

fxrs89

2000 EFI 885cc

Sooo, if the Triumph off road exhaust kit comes with the bypass pipe, and as mentioned in this thread, it works with the centrestand,  can I assume it would fit between my thunderbike exhaust and my Triumph header pipe?

Or do I need to toss the whole affair, and get on with the Triumph off road system?

I also wonder now, since I have the stock tune, and the thunderbike muffler and the breadbox still in place, do I need the race tune?

(I understand that there are only two tunes available for the 2000)

Thanks again for all the comments and help!

Ron, Ridgecrest, Ca

Chris Canning

Hi Ron

I see know reason why it shouldn't fit with Triumph connecting pipe.

Throw it away?,i see no reason to,in 99 i had several connectiing pipes from Triumph,while they were telling me they would fit perfectly, and when on the silencer was a mile off from were the mounting bolt went!!!,they finally got it right.

With the Thunderbike muffler,and the collector your in the realms of what i had to put up all those years ago,and depending on who ask will get a different answer,you just have to try e'm and see.

As for the Tunes,i guess there the last they did for that model,depending on which can you have(road or offroad),with the new 1050 out,i guess the 955 will go the same way,as in they stop bringing newer versions out.

davensocal

Hi Ron-

I am in Riverside..   I have a '00  885i with triumph race can.  I got ine used, and it does not have the cats on it..

I would be open to meeting somewhere to check out the differences   :lol:

(I also would love to check out a similar year tiger, I have no reference points!)

Maybe we can meet at Chapparal one day?   SHould be a good mid-point, and I think I still have a small gift card left for them...  

Anyway, I will be out of town this week..  Email me and we can set up a time..   coronabeltdrive "at" sbcglobal "dot" net

Dave.