News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

high altitude

Started by jp44, March 06, 2007, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp44

Hello,

Is any body have experience or advice to give me about running of Tiger 955i in high altitude (more then 4000 m) with low octane indice (80)?

What do happen in that condition?

Chris Canning

I've found it can be difficult,have been over the Grand St Bernhard many times on all sorts of different bikes,and cars those with carbs just loose power(lots) both my Tiger and my friends VFR Honda were Ok untill we stopped,we stayed at the Hotel there,the following morning neither would start on the button we had to bump start both bikes.

2004Tiger

The requirement for octane rating decreases as elevation increases. I have had my 955i on pavement up to 3450 m elevation using low octane with no problems, except loss of power because of decreased oxygen. Low octane here is 85 (R+M)/2 which is suitable for all high compression engines in Denver (1600 m) and up into the mountains.  At 4000 m elevation your Tiger has a low requirement for octane, 80 might be enough. Does the 955i have knock sensors to retard the ignition? Maybe someone knows this.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

greg

I have ridden the Atlas on low octane. Pinks a bit.
2004 Girly.

TigerTrax

I have done 12,000 ft on my '06 Tiger ... 2 up.  I ran premium and 87%

though..... never a cough!

Fuel injection gives you a great advantage.

Have a great trip.

Jerry
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

jp44

thank you for your replies.  Sure I'll give you result of this futur "test".

We will go from france to Tadjikistan & Pamir on the next summer....

Quote from: "jp44"thank you for your replies.  Sure I'll give you result of this futur "test".

We will go from france to Tadjikistan & Pamir on the next summer....

Sounds like a great trip. Bon voyage. Bon route.