News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buell Ulysses Vs 1050 Tiger

Started by Bliker, March 03, 2007, 09:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

Any of you Tiger riders ever throw a leg over the Uly. I'll probably be in the market for a new ride come 08, and the new Tiger and Uly are the front runners. The Uly has a few things I like over the Tiger 1) belt drive 2) more storage capacity 3) self adjusting valves. I'm not sure how I would like the Vtwin over the triple.
2004 Tiger

kiwitiger

A mate took a uly for a demo ride before he brought his tiger. He did about 40kms on it - the only reason he did 40kms was that he rode it out from the shop for 20kms and then had to ride it back. He said the first 20kms was enough and would happily have left it on the side of the road for the shop to pick it up.

His comments were too tall-  way too many vibes and not a patch on the tiger.

But its each to his own, would like to hear your comments after you've ridden a ulysses.

gatling

I rode a regular 1200 Buell a couple of years ago....not the Uly.  I didn't like it at all.  It felt very twitchy, and it ran out of rpm right away...felt like driving a tractor.  I was disappointed, as I really wanted to like it and I was ready to buy it before I rode it.  It also had this annoying fan for the rear cylinder, which kept coming on loudly.  I just didn't like it.  Based on that, I wouldn't even consider the Ulysses.
Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

wasions

When the Uly came out, I was totally given over to it.  I spent  eight months drooling over it.  I went to test ride one four months after a near-fatal accident which totaled my Burgman 650, and on the way into the shop - I wrecked my DR350!  (Low speed low side.  Someone had put gravel on the off-camber pavement drive into the shop.  Idiots.)  I finally first sat on one in October '05 at the new Destination Daytona, and it felt awesome.  Four months later, I had an opportunity to buy a new Tiger (I'd ridden one in '03 and was very impressed.), and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  (And my wife liked it a lot better than the Buell.)

With some 10K miles on the Tiger, I finally got to ride the Uly last summer.  It felt, and sounded, like a tractor.  I had thought that I would like the 'visceral' feel and sound of a big v-twin, but it felt like a trip back to the sixties by comparison to the Tiger.  Even though the Tiger has less wind protection than, say, the V-Strom, it's still much better than the Uly.  Especially at idle, the mirrors are useless, and the seating position was goofy (at least, for me).

I am sooo happy with the Tiger.  I could have made a huge mistake!
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

Stretch

I was 100% dead-set about buying a Uly last year.  I rode one in August.  It cornered like it was on rails-- just point it where you wanted it to go and it went willingly.

The build quality of the new Buells (the XB's) is very good indeed.  Lots of very innovative features with excellent fit and finish.

But for all it is, it still has that engine.  I have never been a fan of HD products, especially the engines.  A design that makes the engine sputter and vibrate on purpose does not impress me.  The vibration at idle was annoying to me, having spent the past twenty-several years on Japanese bikes.

The rear cylinder is tucked way up inside the twin-spar frame, receiving very little airflow.  As a result, detonation is not uncommon in stop-and-go traffic in hot weather.  To combat this problem, Buell has fitted an electric fan that draws air from the front of the cylinder and forces it out in front of the rear wheel.  This fan is louder than the engine at high rpm.  And while the fan is running, it's dumping very hot air on your right leg.  Another annoying trait at idle.

I can honestly say that if the Ulysses had a smooth-running liquid-cooled engine, I'd have probably bought one.

But here I am.

For more information about the Buell Ulysses, visit the BadWeB forum at www.badweatherbikers.com, then click on "Big, Bad and Dirty"

Good luck.

Bushwhacker

I test rode a Ulysses.

I thought the seat was way too high, but that can be fixed with aftermarket seats or shocks so not a big deal.

Once you got moving, 5 mph or above,  the bike ran smooth.  I thought it handled well and was reasonably comfortable while moving down the road.

The one thing I could not get passed was the vibration at idle.  It shook like a paint mixer.  Sitting at a red light I thought my eyeballs were going to vibrate out of my head.

I rode a Valkyrie for several years (6 cylinder) and have been riding Triumphs (3 cylinder) for the past several years (except for a couple of months on a Multistrada) and the smoothness of these bikes is amazing.  No or little vibration at any rpm except a little on the Triumphs above 6000 or so rpms.

I have considered a Monster for scooting around town and short rides but for long distance touring and serious Motorcycle riding, it is difficult to beat the Triumph triple engine.  Great power and an ubvelievably flat torque curve.

The 1050 maxes out at 74 ft lbs of torque at 9400 rpms but hits about 60 ft lbs way down below 3000 rpms.   It is just always there and ready when you twist the throttle.

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

I choose between these two bikes back in November.

I choose the TIGER for the wrong reasons.

I wanted a street bike, tall, comfortable, with wide bars, and cases, that was FUN FOR ME to ride in city and highway. No off-road tool. Simple!

I choose the Tiger over the XB12X because I was able to go, turn and stop the XB12X faster than the Tiger during my test-rides, and since I am retraining my brain not to ride like a maniac, I sought the Tiger will keep me sane.  :shock:

Wrong! - Well, it did. For about a thousand miles.

Do not make the same mistake!

This 955i triple engine GOES! and this bike TURNS! fast.

Consider yourself warned.  :wink:

Seriously...  I love both these bikes. They are just different Ò very.

I will be very happy with either.

Just love the triple engine and sound.

Cheers!