News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Correct idle revs ?

Started by rudeigin, March 16, 2007, 02:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudeigin

Hi I have a 06 Tiger that when i start it up from cold is running at about 1500-1700Rpm, Can anyone tell me if i can adjust this myself or even where the screw or whatever it is, is? And what the idle revs should be.

Thanks again.
Honda Graduate(Many years ago)

Honda NX650 Dominator

Honda XL650v Transalp

Tiger 955I      (Yeeee Haaaaaa)

Ride Safe.

2004Tiger

Sounds normal. Mine settles down to 800-900 when it warms up.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

geoff

I expect that the start behaviour is programmed into the bike ECU and could only be changed by reprogramming the ECU with something like a TuneBoy (if it can be changed).

My 06 Tiger when started from cold initially runs at about 600 to 800 rpm for about 5 seconds and then the idle speed increases to around 1700rpm. After a minute or so it gradually drops back to the normal idle speed of about 1100rpm. I have found that changing the brand or grade of petrol can affect the initial startup behavior. When I tried Shell Premium 98 Octane (optimax) the bike would often take longer to fire up from cold and would frequently run for a secod or two at below 500rpm and then stall. A second restart would usually get it going. Other brands of premium fuel I have used allow the bike to start much better. I suspect the Shell Optimax makes the bike startup with the mixture to rich. Other than the bad starting the bike ran ok on the Optimax.

Mine has always idled at 1100rpm. Apparently, it's programed into the ECU and you cannot alter it yourself.

iansoady

According to the tuneboy site you can alter it, although why anyone should want to I don't know. As others have said, 1300 when cold dropping to 1100 when warm is correct.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650