News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket sizing

Started by ole buddy, April 08, 2007, 03:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole buddy

Hello,

I recently bought a 99 Tiger and I really enjoy it. I wanted to put this question out there and see what y'all think. At 70 mph the revs are at 4800 - 5000k. I am getting 36 miles to the gallon at that rate. I wondered if that was normal? Also, what are the factory specs on the sprockets? Has anyone ever tried adjusting sprocket sizes for lower revs. if so, what are the recommendations? Thanks

MARKC

I put a 19t sprocket on my 900 and 955 Tiger and it drops the revs by around 500. Loses a little in acceleration,but makes sustained high speed use less frantic. Have not worked out how this effects fuel use

ghostbiker955i

I went the other way and gained about 400 revs :) Makes better town/offroad/fun riding but a little buzzy on long Mway trips. fuel econ droped a little but that was more likely because of i was using it harder than before.

For Mpg go up a tooth on front

For Spg go down a tooth :)

(Spg = Smiles ber gallon)
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

Chris Canning

I did the same as Mark C,on both models,with the offroad pipe,K+N filter and the airbox mod,found performance was exactly the same even pulling an extra tooth,just less revs to do it.

GatorTiger

Got 19 front and 44 rear on mine. Can cruise 70 at about 4200... Forget about wheelies, though... Have been offroad with it and works great! Just stay in first for everything! ;-)

Have the offroad tune with the stock exhaust and get about 45 mpg on average. Not too shabby...
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

tomla

i run a 19/47 for the street and switch to 18 up front for the dirt

geotiger

Along these lines, I was wondering if you go to different sprockets does that affect your speedometer and odometer readings?

If so then we need to be sure to put the correction factors in when we are figuring new mileages and stuff.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

GatorTiger

Quote from: "geotiger"Along these lines, I was wondering if you go to different sprockets does that affect your speedometer and odometer readings?

On the girlies the speedo sensor is on the front wheel and works totally separate from the sprockets. No mod needed...

Cheers,

HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

iansoady

The speedo runs off the front wheel so no.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

geotiger

Quote from: "GatorTiger"
Quote from: "geotiger"Along these lines, I was wondering if you go to different sprockets does that affect your speedometer and odometer readings?

On the girlies the speedo sensor is on the front wheel and works totally separate from the sprockets. No mod needed...

Cheers,

HG

Ah, well thanks.  

Stupid is now leaving the building............
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

I put a vote in for a 19T front.

Along with a K&N air filter and Irridium plugs I now get another 20 miles before the fuel light comes on. And it still works OK going up steep dirt hairpin bends.