News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cooling Problems

Started by tcbezza, April 21, 2007, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcbezza

Came back from a real nice ride this morning and parked the Tiger on the driveway. Went inside and came out about 20 minutes later, the bike had burped coolant out of the overflow, which was not a good sign although I had noticed a slight leak there for some time, since is was service. This burp was far worse tah before but when I looked at the left side of the bike both of the large radiator hoses on that side where FLAT ! Now that is not a good sign :(  The coolant header tank is full as normal.

Not had time to look yet as I have been rebuilding one of the BSAÌs for a rally tomorrow so time is tight.

Has anybody seen this problem before or have any ideaÌs what is going on :!:
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

speedjunkie

I believe the general consensus when she burps coolant is a faulty radiator cap.  Do a search here, should come up with something, but I'm pretty sure it the rad cap.  IIRC, someone said a cap from a Toyota would fit as well, not sure on that tho, would be cheaper and easier to get I suspect.

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

NortonCharlie

Collapsed hoses indicate a crimped or plugged line to the overflow tank.  But if that is the case it would have puked out the radiator cap.  Unless there is something in the hose causing it to act like a check valve.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tcbezza

I spoke to the dealer that service my Tiger today and had an interesting response. Basically he said that Tigers where prone to problems when the coolant was replaced during a service and that "sometimes we have problems after" So the bike is booked back to the dealer on Friday for more work. I will let you know what the result is.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

tcbezza

Had the bike back at the Dealer on Friday and all is now working as it should do. Appraently when the airbox had been replaced during the service it had trapped one of the coolant hoses. This stopped the system breathing correctly.

Everythink is not back to normal.

:lol:
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

blacktiger

Hmmm...I've got a friend with an 04 that is overheating now...even on idle, the fans going...she heads into the red.

I'll have to have him check his hoses out.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

burntclutch

^ oops..forgot to log in first!

Rod

I've just been pestering my dealer (Jack Lilley) over same problem, I took my 2006 Tiger in for a small service including changing the air filter and now it occasionally burps and the left hand hose goes flat after a run.  If this is the case over the airbox trapping a hose then surely their mechanics should be taking more care when refitting.

My best/worst time with a sloppy mechanic (Jack Lilley again) was when they replaced the brake pads for me but failed to pump up the pads back onto the discs. So I go flying down the road to the first set of traffic lights, apply the brakes only to feel no effect on them. I pumped the levers frantically and managed to stop in time, I was not best pleased....My fault I suppose for not checking.......

Rod

tcbezza

Rod,   The tech at my dealer was real apologetic when he found the problem. To be honest this is the first instance I have had of any problems so I guess everybody is entitled to a bad day sometimes. On my Tiger it was 2 / 3 weeks before the problem became obvious as I guess the pipe slowly folded under the pressure from the air box.

Hopefully this is the last problem I have after servicing.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Rod

Maybe it isn't too common a problem but I'm not very happy with my dealer as I said before.

Also I rode 400miles upto Stafford and back last weekend before I noticed the flat hoses. So what damage to the engine/water pump or whatever could that have done?

Rod

NortonCharlie

QuoteAlso I rode 400miles upto Stafford and back last weekend before I noticed the flat hoses. So what damage to the engine/water pump or whatever could that have done?

Shouldn't have caused any problems, the system will have held pressure and it would have blown the extra pressure out of the cap.  The hoses collapsed rather than sucking air into the system.  I wouldn't worry about it.  With the problem cleared up the worst case is you may need to top up the overflow tank when the sytem bleeds the little air that was introduced to the system when it was repaired.

Charlie
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando