News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Latest Tiger Recruit

Started by Harley, May 15, 2007, 01:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley

Excited or what!!

Placed a deposit on a 55 Silver Tiger with 811 miles on clock. Prev owner had 4 triumphs, and traded this in for Sidecar and other things as his circumstances changed.

Is mint condition, Has heated grips, datatool alarm, Gel touring seat,Panniers, Top Box, Engine Bars, Crash Bobbins, Tour Scotoiler, Touring Screen and looks like sex on wheels with full warranty until Dec this year.

Having passed my test i test rode an 02 Tiger, and it chisled a grin in my mush that's still there now. Never bothered with trying the Beemer or VFR800 - they may be better, but they are exactly what they say they are. It maybe my snobish tendancies, but c'mon -they are not, and will never be - Triumphs.

I had FUN on the Tiger, and by owning one i feel like i belong to a rather special exclusive band of Brothers and Sisters.

Can't wait until Saturday to collect my new Cat and, more importantly, a Triumph.

Boring thread, but am sharing  this with everybody.

Stretch

Quote from: "Harley"Never bothered with trying the Beemer or VFR800 - they may be better...

I've ridden them, and bought a Tiger.  'Nuff said.

JRO

VFR's are good bikes, but nowhere near as comfortable.  You couldn't give me anything built by the Broken Motor Works, however.

You'll do just find with a Tiger; it will always make you feel happy.  I can't say that as much, about other bikes I've owned.  I don't know about being a part of any 'brotherhood', however.  I've only met one other guy in my area, who has a Triumph.  I know there's others... somewhere.  Maybe there will be more riders, around where you live.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Quote from: "JRO"VFR's are good bikes, but nowhere near as comfortable.  You couldn't give me anything built by the Broken Motor Works, however.

You'll do just find with a Tiger; it will always make you feel happy.  I can't say that as much, about other bikes I've owned.  I don't know about being a part of any 'brotherhood', however.  I've only met one other guy in my area, who has a Triumph.  I know there's others... somewhere.  Maybe there will be more riders, around where you live.

I'll second that.

And, where do you live Harley? It's nice to know where someone is located when you post replies. Especially when some on here are across the pond and speak a different language. :? Could you find your way to filling in some more in your profile so that your location shows on your posts?

Stretch

Oh, I love Honda V-fours.  I still have my V45 Super Magna, although I'll be selling it once I get through traveling this summer.  Hard to sell something when you're not home to show it to callers.

But the VFR can't do what a Tiger can do, so I didn't buy one.

BMW has a few too many warranty issues to suit me.  That being said, by brother-in-law simply loves his Adventure and wouldn't trade it for any other bike.

Harley

Sorry Blacktiger,

new to this kinda stuff.   From YORK mate, 250 miles and 15 degrees difference from your location!!

I really am struggling to find ANYONE with a bad word about the Tiger -is it really that good?

Can't wait until Saturday- it will be a purrrfect day.

greg

You made the right choice matey, welcome.
2004 Girly.

Advwannabe

Hi Harley,

Sooo, you want to hear some snivelling about Tiggers........o.k then!

Some of us find the standard windscreen a shocker for noise and buffeting. Have a look at the old threads for a solution.

The plastic quickconnect fittings for the fuel tank are dodgy but were replaced in a factory recall. Yours should be fine, I think it all got ironed out before your model. Sometimes people nick the 'o' rings plugging them back in after a service. I carry two as spares just in case.

The torx head bolts for the footpeg carriers come loose, causing extra vibes.

The centerstand mounting points are a horrendous design and can come loose, causing the bike to fall of the stand when you go to hoist it up.

Tigger is top heavy. My subjective impression of the guys on this forum is that this can catch new owners out. You are more at risk of dropping Tigger at low speed or pushing around the shed in the first few weeks so be careful!

If you do drop Tigger she is quite hard to pick back up, due to the afore mentioned top heavinsss. Check to see if you can dead lift her in the shed before you take her off road. The wonderful lift methods you can read about on the web will not work on slippery surfaces so you have to know you can dead lift her, or ride with a mate.

There have been some issues of damage due to hydraulicing oil on Tiggers restarted right after they were picked up. If Tigger is on her side for any length of time allow a good few minutes to let the oil drain back from the heads before you start her up.

Access to the air filter is too fiddly for a bike with off road pretentions , and the standard footpegs become slippery slides of death once they get wet or muddy.

The stock bar is too low for tall people to ride comfortably standing up. Fixes are available

That's it, I'm done. This bike can hold its head up in any Adventure touring company and overall is the best do-it-all bike I've owned. You are going to be a very happy camper my friend so enjoy!

CHeers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Harley

Hi Advwannabe,

thanks for those points, they make very interesting reading.

Having spent a bundle on the bike, any advance 'damage limitation' tips will be well heeded.

Live out in the country, so aim to get used to the bike in areas where the traffic is lighter.

That said, when i did my test ride, i seemed to cope pretty well providing i planned ahead, didnt disrespect the bike, and made sure it was me controlling the bike and not the other way round. It's damn heavy though, isn't it?

I can see why most of the spills are low speeds.

MARKC

Harley.

I'm on my second Tiger  and love them. They are heavy and I dropped mine from stand still after wheeling it 10ft out of the garage and mounting up for a trip to Italy. Once on the move there is no problem.Just bear it in mind when parking up or in the petrol station.

The bike is in its element doing big milage.Loads of power and very comfortable. A common mod for those doing mainly long road trips is to put a 19t engine sprocket.Engine revs drop by around 400-500 rpm at motorway speeds. Loss of acceleration is minimal.

Happy riding

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Hi Harley,

Sooo, you want to hear some snivelling about Tiggers........o.k then!

Some of us find the standard windscreen a shocker for noise and buffeting. Have a look at the old threads for a solution.

The torx head bolts for the footpeg carriers come loose, causing extra vibes.

Thanks for filling your profile in a bit more. Shortly after I posted my last one I found one of your posts on Triumphrat.net and it was obvious you were in Yorkshire because you mentioned Leeds etc.

As for the above. I've experimented with screens and now use a "Sports" screen. Taller doesn't always work. It all depends on your individual size and shape.

The footrest hangers. I found the right side one came loose. The cure is that the bolts are long enough to get a nut onto the back of them to act as locknuts.