News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introduction, A few questions on the Tiger

Started by JUSTRON, September 07, 2007, 04:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Quote from: "JUSTRON"Seems like most of my fears have been addressed!
I dont expect to do anything more severe than a dirt road or jeep trial 2-up.. But may search out something a bit more challenging if riding solo.
Can someone give me a Breakdown of changes on the 2000 on up 955's?
Is there any monumental changes that would ... say , Make me want an 04 over an 01, etc??
Normal maintenance items like Valve adjustments, etcc  A dealer affair or Do it myself. Dumb questions, I know, But I have absolutely ZERO experience with Triumph.  Any Farkles anyone considers a Necessity?
Again, Thanks so much for answering my questions.
 Maybe I can find a rider group here in nc??   :D

If you ride hare scrambles then riding a Tiger 2up on dirt roads will be easy. I'm a competant trail rider and find the Tiger handling to be predictable once you get used to the wieght of it.
The bike for you is the 955i. A new engine was slotted in starting in March '01 replacing the 885i of the original "Girly" shape. It's better engine all round with smoother running, slightly more power, more torque lower down and more fuel economy. Between '01 and '05 there is no difference in engines. '05 on got a new geometry with cast wheels and new swingarm. '06 got the 1050 tiger crank cases, gearbox and cylinder head. In other words, to answer your question, between '01 & '04 there's no change to anything.
The valve shims live on top of the buckets so it could be done yourself but you do need a special tool to hold the valve compressed to extract the shim. Normally retail around $100? or here :- http://www.jacklilley.com/view_part.asp ... part_id=11
The only thing I've never heard anyone doing themselves is the throttle body balancing. Everything else is do-able. I just give it to a dealer for valves, plugs and throttle body balancing which is everything under the tank. That costs me £150 all in.
Farkles include crashbars, gel seat, relays to make both headlights work  and a screen to suit you. For the latter you'll have to read everything on these forums and experiment. Other than those, IMO, it's good to go, as you say over there. If you're looking at long term ownership they last. Mines done 47000 miles and still runs sweet.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Mudhen

Why not a Steamer?

As far as I'm concerned, my '96 is a more street oriented 950-lite (or heavy, I guess).  20lbs heavier, about 5hp less.  Less suspension travel, of course...but better street manners.

And it does do jeep trails...and slightly more - if you don't mind replacing some blinkers   :wink:
\'96 Steamer

JUSTRON

Honestly, I never considered an older one. Performance should be relatively similar?  However I have jetted, and jetted, and jetted carbs for umpteen years. Leaner for the mountains, Richer for the sea. Do it again when temps are in the 40s, and again when temps are in the 90's. Im thinking fuel injection would be nice!  :D  Then again, i kinda like Jetting a carb  :?: