News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch shudder?

Started by brad1098, December 27, 2007, 03:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad1098

Has anyone experienced this? My 02 has done this since I bought it with 1700mi.  After taking rolling corner, rolling stop or traffic slow down a crack of the throttle will cause the clutch to shudder.  At least thats what I think it is?  It only happens when the rev's are low, maybe below 3000.  Im not dogging it hard, just normal riding.  The clutch does not actually slip, just shudder, could it be the torque at that rpm?  Now with 8000 miles it has not changed, doesn't really bother me just thought there could be a remedy.
02 black-Lorna

noivson

Pull up next to a tree let the clutch out slowly...poor mans way of removing high spots on the friction and steel discs...
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

blacktiger

It's nothing to do with the clutch. It's a case of ; "they all do that".
In my opinion it's the chain vibrating in harmony with the firing order at around 3000rpms.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

katoomon

It could just be driveline lash in the "they all do it" department.  That wasn't addressed until '06.  You can use the clutch, just a slight slip, when powering back up or a critically aware half-crack of the throttle; or, drag your rear brake very slightly when vertical.  Chain too loose?
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

Stretch

I would tend to agree with Katoomon.  My '05 is quite smooth when the chain isn't worn.

CBAT

My Steamer was real herky jerky until I replaced chain and sprockets. Now smooth as silk.  :D
Bruce

brad1098

I thought about it more and it very well may be chain slap, however it has been the same before and after many chain adjustments and sprocket changes.  Good to know it is in the "they all do it category"

No worries.
02 black-Lorna

katoomon

Quote from: "brad1098"I thought about it more and it very well may be chain slap, however it has been the same before and after many chain adjustments and sprocket changes.  Good to know it is in the "they all do it category"

No worries.

On a previous bike, I would have a heck of a time adjusting the chain; it was also an eccentric cam in the swingarm setup.  I could never get the axle right because the hash marks on either side of the swingarm weren't in sync.  

I finally got it sorted out by getting the axle and eccentrics at bottom dead center, and tightening the axle but leaving the swingarm pinch bolts slightly loose.  Chain adjustment and alignment was a whole lot easier after squaring up the axle.  Bike was still mediocre and uninspiring though.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

blacktiger

Quote from: "brad1098"however it has been the same before and after many chain adjustments and sprocket changes.

Like I said. I think it's to do with harmonics between the chain length and the firing frequency. Think of it like a guitar string. Nothing to do with the chain being badly adjusted. I experienced the same thing with a Suzuki TS200R.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.