News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Leak

Started by McGuiver, December 11, 2007, 05:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGuiver

Hi....I just bought an 06 Tiger, and it is spitting oil out of, or around,where the wires come out of the mag cover. This seems very odd to me, as isn't that area typically seperate from the oiled area of the motor? I haven't taken the cover off yet, as I have not had time. Anyone ever seen this before???? I'm thinking maybe a bad crank seal?
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

McGuiver

Well I took the cover off the mag, and it is full of oil..........is this normal? I have never seen a magneto that is bathed in oil. Please someone chime in here, I'm kinda freaked out thinking I might have big problems! :(
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

HappyMan

Yes, please.  I'm all ears..... :shock:
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

pit0rz

My guess would be not normal.   :(  :arrow:  :cry:
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

McGuiver

There has to be someone out there that has taken the alternator cover off one of these? The tech. manual didn't help......guess I'm gonna have to call a Triumph dealer to get the low down on this one!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

HappyMan

Quote from: "McGuiver"There has to be someone out there that has taken the alternator cover off one of these? The tech. manual didn't help......guess I'm gonna have to call a Triumph dealer to get the low down on this one!

Please keep us up to date with your findings.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

abruzzi

Never had it open, but i just looked in the "official" manual.  The alternator bolts right up to the crank, so I would assume there is some kind of seal there.  That would seem the most likely source of the oil.  

It's not clear from the pages I found that there is even a seal or whether it easily replaceable.

Being that your username is mcguyver, I'm sure you can fix it with a piece of bazooka bubble gum, a popsicle stick, and a Hulk comic book.

good luck.

Geof

McGuiver

:lol: That's pretty funny........however, I just bought this bike off flea-bay, and I am really concerned that I bought a bag of headaches! Bike only has 3500 miles on it, and it appears to run ok, but when I noticed the oil seeping out around the wire loom, I opened it up, and thats what I found. I don't have a Triumph dealer near by, so I thought I'd ask here..........I'm wondering if the bike has any warranty left on it. It was originally sold new last June. Does the warranty transfer to the second owner??
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

TigerTrax

Personally...
I wouldn't do anything. I'd get it into a dealer. You may still have warranty coverage.

Your alternater loaded with oil..... this is not how things work.

Don't be 'stinky' about it. Simply tell them you saw an oil leak, traced it to the cover, and found the alternater loaded with oil, replaced teh cover and decided to ahve them determine the cause.

Good luck.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

NortonCharlie

There is oil running under the alternator cover.  Your leak is probably a bad gasket or the wires didn't get sealed up good coming out of the cover.  There should be a little silicone sealer around the wires sealing it to the notch in the case.  The oil level is below the rotor so it shouldn't sling much oil unless the oil is way overfilled, or had the bike running down on the left side.  I've had mine off several times.  I think the 06 has the new engine cases, if it is like mine (01-05 ) there is a vent hose coming out of the alternator cover.  I'm not sure what they did with the venting on the 06 but I am pretty sure they didn't change much around the alternator.  When you put the cover back on the magnets are going to try and pull it out of your hands, so watch it.  I got a few long bolts and cut the heads off to align the cover as I slid it on (over kill really) on the 01-05 engines we have a seal that runs around the balancer shaft that double as the crank case breather.

I'm curious what they did with the breather on the new engine, it look like it comes out of the top of the crankcase.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

McGuiver

Thank God, I didn't buy me a lemon!!!!!! I just talked to the dealer, and he told me the same thing! I guess the little rubber gasket that surrounds the wires, just wasn't fitted in there correctly, thus causing it to leak. I've never heard of an oiled electrical system! Man am I relieved!!!!! :lol:  :P
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE