News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer plug wires?

Started by RiderX, January 15, 2008, 06:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiderX

Hey all, I am looking to get ahold of a set of replacement wires for my '98. The BMW/Triumph dealer wants $120 bucks for a set of wires that my buddy says are made just from the same cheap crap the aftermarket places use and I should try getting them somewhere else. I tried Magnacor and they told me they haven't had any luck with making them for the Triumph triples.

Anyone out there have a recommendation?

Mustang

These guys have em nology hotwires they are listed for 3 cyl triumphs and you can get red or black $100
http://www.nologyhotwires.com/
they only list the to 97 model but the 98's are the same
a lot of companys only list tigers till 97 , never understood why triumph made so many changes (ie  carbs and suspension components ) to a model that was getting a total workover for 99

nightrunner

I could sell you the stockers off my 98.  They have about 4 to 5k miles on them.    #3 has about 1/2" of the boot torn off the bottom (cant see it when installed).  The others are undamaged.  I switched to on-the-plug coils so no need for them.  $25 shipped (USPS ground).  I can grab a DMM and recheck the resistance on them if you're interested.  

You may want new ones but FWIW.
Cheers

PS.  My advice is find a set of TT600 on-plug coils (the skinny ones) on ebay and use my rejetting recipe on the "rejetting the 98" thread.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

RiderX

So the dealer made me a decent deal on the wires and I bought them. Installed them and no difference. Still won't start in the cold, although one new interesting addition: I put a bathroom space-heater on the floor next to the bike and after it runs for about 10 minutes the bike starts right up! How weird is that? Looks like my buddy and I will be ripping the carbs out this weekend and blowing them up... I mean trying nightriders re-jetting tips. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

TigerTrax

Hey Rider..
I once owned a '98 Steamer... never had electrical problems.

The day after I bought the bike I stripped it to the bone and examined
everything I could. What I found was a lot of corrosion in the igniter and plug wires. Even after I cleaned them and  a good electrical grease... they still needed attention once a year.

Secondly, I noticed the plug wires themselves needed extra attention getting the center and RIGHT plug PUSHED down enough for a good connection.

Third, the RIGHT plug wire from igniter was a tad short, so I routed as best I could and made certain I was well connected.

While you are playing with those igniters... run an OHM test to see if they are any good. The '98 are known for igniter coils crapping out.

Then one day the guy at Baxter Cycle said, "Hey, want to make that puppy run?  Put on a set of Daytona igniter plugs."

Yowza.. Big diff! I think they came off a 2005 Daytona. ( Salvage )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

BR

T-Trax,
I'm with you on this one. On my '98, I got a set '04 Daytona coils from ebay ($35) recently mostly to simply remove the OEM coils from the equation.  With that done, I'm going to yank my carbs to clean them once again and be done with it.  I'll report back someday after I get motivated to get out there in the cold garage (ok, it's not THAT cold but I've got some projects going on inside right now).

Brendan
San Jose, CA
'98 BRG Steamer

nightrunner

Just be sure you don't get the flat top Daytona coils by mistake like I did.  Daytonas used both kinds over the years.   You want the skinny ones that are barely bigger than a spark plug boot.  Get 'em from a TT600 and you'll have a spare.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril