News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Oilers/warranty issues (Poverty!)

Started by MadridTiger, January 16, 2008, 05:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadridTiger

Hi Fellas, I know everyone thinks that scottoilers are great, but triumph spain say fitting one will void my warranty. :shock:  I´m also on a budget so expensive options are out too I´m afraid. :oops:  I´ve been looking at the loobman system or some kind of home made system and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the loobman or has any ideas/inventions they´d like to share :D pics would be nice too! 8)
Slainte,
Jim.
MadridTiger[size=84]The IRISH Cat[/size]
´07 955i in black,

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "MadridTiger"Hi Fellas, I know everyone thinks that scottoilers are great, but triumph spain say fitting one will void my warranty. :shock:  I´m also on a budget so expensive options are out too I´m afraid. :oops:  I´ve been looking at the loobman system or some kind of home made system and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the loobman or has any ideas/inventions they´d like to share :D pics would be nice too! 8)
Slainte,
Jim.

I've had this tussle with Triumph dealers (and BMW too) before.  It usually revolves around tapping into the vacuum system in case you bodge it and cause a leak, which they assume means cutting into the intake side of your fuel system, and claim could then cause it to run so weak that you blow your engine - although with FI I can't understand why the engine management system wouldn't shut it down before harm could occur.  Anyway, the trick is (provided you are confident in your ability to do a good, leakproof job) to find a way of tapping into the vacuum system without leaving any evidence.   I'm not sure how to do this on the Girlies - on my Honda I disconnected a pipe from the vacuum valve on the fuel rail, put a T piece in and a short piece of extra pipe - but if someone doesn't come back with the common method,  I'll get my manual out and see if I can come up with something.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

I agree. If any warranty claim could be attributed to what you've done then Triumph could refuse the claim. But I fitted a Scottoiler within 1000 miles of getting mine and it hasn't caused any problems. Scottoiler provide full instruction on how and where to connect it to Triumphs.
Just do a good job and stop worrying. see photo....
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

HockleyBoy

Mine was fitted by a Triumph dealer in the UK when the bike was new and they never mentioned and problems with the warranty.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

MadridTiger

Hi Steve,
theres a lot of shoulder shrugging and navel gazing goes on in the dealership which is the only one in madrid( who shall, of course remain nameless!) they hummed and hawed about fitting my engine bars. But they flat out refused the scottoiler, citing warranty issues. There is also a warning on the scottoiler site. the whole thing is a bit of a headache! its so nice to have resources like this site that are straightforward, life in spain can be a bit frustrating at times, we dont have the range of dealers/options that the U.K. has. leaning towards a loobman or a very near copy, because its cheap, non invasive to the wiring/intakes and with a bit of prep can give good results(I Believe!)
´07 955i in black,

HockleyBoy

Jim,
I would go with whatever works for you and keeps your warranty in tact (not that I have never needed to call on the warranty but you never know).
I have the touring scotoiler fitted and it has been ok but I couldn't say it is any better than the loobman or any other oiler. It does keep the chain oiled but can be pretty messy.
In the end whatever you use just needs to get oil on the chain. :D

Regards,
Steve
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

I've fitted Scottoilers to three bikes in the past:  my Blackbird,  my F650GS, and my 900 Trident.  The Tigger came with it already fitted.  It's a touring type, and to be fair,  isn't working very well at the moment, but with the Blackbird in bits for it's winter overhaul,  I don't have time to sort it for now.

If you decide to go ahead, and need any parts from the UK, let me know and I'll get them for you.  Shouldn't be necessary though, the kits come with every conceivable adaptor you're likely to need.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

pit0rz

not to be a wise ass or anything... but, why not just lube the chain after each ride :?:
It takes me at least 10 seconds to do.  :wink:   Chain life has never been an issue on any of my bikes in the last 20+ years of riding.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Mustang

I have found that on a hot summer day  700 miles into a ride that the chain gets mighty hot and dry  even if you lube it in the morning and gas stops , am thinking about adding a Hawke Oiler to my steamer  as I only seem to average about 10 k out of a chain . Rain also plays hell on a chain on 700 mile days too !

oldrider

Have a look here  http://www.pro-oiler.com  I did and am extremely pleased with the product!

You will find fitting it to the Tiger in their "Gallery" Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

HappyMan

Quote from: "oldrider"Have a look here  http://www.pro-oiler.com  I did and am extremely pleased with the product!

You will find fitting it to the Tiger in their "Gallery" Cheers John.

That's a nice looking oiler.  How much does something like that cost and how difficult is it to install?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

MadridTiger

:shock: Its a nice machine, but its an expensive option! 200 euros + postage! :o  I was really looking for budget options, I have a few ideas so I may try and construct something myself- looks like the english/spanish dictionary is gonna get some use! :wink: Thanks for the info though john one day it will be mine, oh yes, it  will  be  mine!¡!¡!¡!¿? seriously though anyone had any touches of genius on the invention front?
´07 955i in black,

Bixxer Bob

Only to replace the plastic Scottoiler twin feed with something more substantial.  Despite care on the installation my Blackbird ate two plastic ones in as many weeks.  I made one out of small gauge brass tubing bought at a model shop and have had no probs since.  I can vouch for the twin feed approach though, it makes sure both sides of the chain get lubed properly.  If a single feed isn't set up well you can get one side running dry with potentially disastrous results.