News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help needed with Steamer oil leak!!

Started by gosling1, January 29, 2008, 02:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gosling1

I replaced my chain & sprockets last May for the first time on my new-to-me 1995 Triumph Tiger with ~ 55k miles on it. As I'm sure many of you are aware of, to do this on this particular generation of Tiger involves draining the oil & pulling the LH cover to access the front countersprocket . Ever since I've done this, I've had an oil leak from the bottom of that cover where it mates to the engine case.  :evil:  I went back in a few weeks ago armed with a fresh OEM gasket and some better gasket adhesive/sealer - HondaBond. I carefully scraped off the old gasket and then applied with a brush a thin layer of HondaBond on the cover before placing the actual gasket on it. After letting it set up for a minute or so as directed, I went ahead and brushed a thin layer of HondaBond on the engine case & then mated the cover, torquing the cover to the correct values. Static testing of the bike showed no issue and it went ~55 miles and a few days before developing the leak again in the same spot!  :(

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong here? I usually have MUCH better luck with gaskets, etc. Not used to having a motorcycle that leaks oil!

TIA -

Daniel

Mustang

is it the gasket on the cover leaking or could it be that the lip seal on the shifter shaft is leaking , also there is another seal in the cover that goes for the clutch rod , I can't remember if it is in the cover or the engine case . One time I changed the chain and sprocket on my buddys T-Bird Sport and when I was done I had to call great bay and get the seal for the clutch pushrod cause it was leaking oil where it did not before doing the sprocket job ! :BangHead
another thought is ...............some folks have sworn they have an oil leak when in reality it is simply just excess chain lube that gets slung off into the cover  :shock:

gosling1

Quote from: "95mustang"is it the gasket on the cover leaking or could it be that the lip seal on the shifter shaft is leaking , also there is another seal in the cover that goes for the clutch rod , I can't remember if it is in the cover or the engine case . One time I changed the chain and sprocket on my buddys T-Bird Sport and when I was done I had to call great bay and get the seal for the clutch pushrod cause it was leaking oil where it did not before doing the sprocket job ! :BangHead
another thought is ...............some folks have sworn they have an oil leak when in reality it is simply just excess chain lube that gets slung off into the cover  :shock:
I'm fairly certain that it's the gasket on the cover that's leaking and not the lip seal on the shifter shaft. Went by the local dealer this morning and their head wrench suggested that I spray foot powder around the area after cleaning it and then running it some more - should definitely show the origin of the leak!  :idea:  It's not excess chain lube as I use teflon lube now...