News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High Output Stator

Started by McGuiver, February 27, 2008, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGuiver

I read somewhere that someone was going to make a high output stator for the Girlies.......can't remember what website I read it on though......it was supposed to be available in Feb. 08. Has anyone heard anything about that? I need more juice to run my lights, vests, etc. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

Stretch

I saw these in my new Dennis Kirk catalog...

http://www.electrosport.com/electrospor ... iumph.html

That site says they're for triples up to 2003, but the Dennis Kirk printed catalog says up to 2005.  Not '06?

Maybe that's because some late 2006 955's use 1050 cases?

McGuiver

Interesting.........I e-mailed the manufacturer......will post their answer. In the meantime, has anyone fitted one of these to an 06? Has anyone fitted one of these at all?? How'd it work? Thanks guys! :D
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

cbxtc6

I've used the Electrosport stator on my old '03.  Easy as pie to install.  I would wire it directly to the rectifier and battery - bypassing the wiring harness.  Don't ask me how I now know this.

I heard somewhere that Electrosport is re-doing the Tiger stator.
I'm interested in their reply to your e-mail.

McGuiver

I ended up calling them, and the person I talked to said they did not have anything for the 03 and up Tigers. She did however, tell me about a place in Alabama called Custom Rewind, that will rewind your existing stator. www.customrewind.com  I called them.......the guy was really nice, and he seemed to feel he could improve the output of the stator by rewinding it. He did however, tell me that the stator is limited by the flywheel as to how much it can put out. He said it was a "crap-shoot" as to how much I will gain. He said some bikes gain 25% output, while others might only get 10%.............they charge 95.00 to do the job, and the turn around is 3-4 days plus shipping time.  For that money, I'm going to do it, and I would be thrilled with 10%..............and who knows.........maybe much more. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

blacktiger

This thread.......for when 480 Watts is not enough. You're worth it.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

McGuiver

2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

aebbern

I am in dire need of a stator rewind.  Unable to run both headlights, heated grips and heated jacket liner at same time.  Any news / updates on the work from Custom Rewind?  If the work has been done, what kind of improvement did you experience?

Thanks,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200

eldiii

I'm sure that there are more than a few of us waiting to know how McGuiver makes out.

eldiii

McGuiver

Sorry guys, just got back from vacation, and the box from Custom Rewind had arrived while I was gone. However, much to my shagrin, the box was damaged, and sure enough, so was the stator :shock: . It had been dropped by the UPS man, or something, and it was not useable.........so I called Gary at CW, and told him what happened. He said to send it back, and they would re-do it for me for NO CHARGE!!!! Now THAT is very cool indeed, and I am impressed as hell with how that went down!.......but I can't yet say how well the stator works for obvious reasons :roll: I promise that I will let you all know as soon as I get it back!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

TigerTrax

Hey McGuiver...
Ride on down to the Tiger Rally in Davis, WV  June 19-22 2008 and show off your new 'electrics'.

As you know .. we Northern riders appreciate our heated gear, lights, radios, phones, GPS, coffee makers, and portable TV's.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

McGuiver

Well I finally had a couple of hours to put the new (re-wound) stator back in the Tiger today, and it works VERY WELL!!! I'm getting between 13.6, and 13.8 volts at an idle, with just the headlights on. If I switch on my two 55W driving lamps at idle, it reads 12.4V, but if I bring the revs up it jumps right up to 13.7 again! So, if you need your stator rewound, I HIGHLY recommend the guys at Custom Rewind for the job! :D  :D
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

Sasquatch

Not to discount the rewound stators, but I highly suggest you do my charging mod that has been posted elsewhere on this forum first.  With just rewiring my charging system a bit and getting a direct charge and ground to the battery, bypassing a few feet of wire and some connectors, I can run loads of electrical devices without the voltage going down at all.  I run both headlights, GPS, Sirius sat radio, two way radio, heated grips, full Gerbing heated jacket liner, and Gerbing socks with NO problems on the stock stator.  My GPS has the voltage reading on the main screen so I keep tabs on it as well.

Just something to consider before spending the $$

A note about Electrosport.  Their quality has been suspect.  A KLR board I belong to did a group buy of their 400 watt stators.  My dad and I both bought them.  While dad and I have had good luck with ours, probably 40% of the group buy guys have had repeated failures of their RRs.  Just something to consider before buying.

McGuiver

Actually, I did the mod. on mine at the same time as I put the stator in the bike. However, my particular stator was bad to begin with. I couldn't get it covered under warranty, as the wires had been severed in a little mishap. Sooooooo, perhaps the stator rewind is not totally responsible for the high(er) output. However, if anyone needs a bad stator redone, these guys are top-notch to deal with.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

2005 GasGas 450 FSE

Sasquatch

Man it was cold yesterday.  38 degrees F when I left the house.  Stock stator with the electrical mod.  GPS, Sirius radio, Grips on High, Gerbing jacket and socks on about 3/4, headlights on high beam.  Lowest cruise voltage is 13.7, idle was about 12.2.