News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello, New Steamer owner!!

Started by Lostviking, July 05, 2008, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightrunner

Careful with that eccentric adjuster.  I have read posts by owners who use torque wrench to specs and still the bands break.  I just make them snug; that is use one hand on allen wrench and just use wrist muscles to snug the bolt.  Don't reef on it.  With a band clamp of that size, it takes very little torque to get a tight grip on the hub.  If you tend to reef on bolts by nature, then switch it to a metric wing head bolt and tighten with fingers.   Seriously, if that band breaks its not a pleasent repair.

First time you take the carbs off you'll hate it, but its a right of passage.  Apply a bit of axel grease to the inside of all boots and the carbs slip off and on easily.

Steamers are seriously lean out of the box.  Read the jetting threads.

Congrats on the bike.  They have their quirks but they are a blast.

Cheers
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mudhen

Careful not using torque specs...I've tightened it by hand and had it loosen up...guess I didn't have to replace my swingarm, but still got a fun ride home:

Hey, best mileage my Steamer ever got, though!
\'96 Steamer

tattyTigger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Airbox price???  Wait for it.......$75-80.  I just bought one.

And now for the real fun...the carbs come off before the airbox.  You thought your beemer was convoluted, just wait...

At that point, check your valve clearances because you are already almost there. :roll:

yup the Tiger must be the only bike that when you want to service the airfilter you need to buy the whole airbox, take the coils off, battery off, pretty much all the body work off and not forgetting the carbs  :roll:

..unbelieveable, I kept think this was someones idea of a joke when doing this job, Tiger could learn a lot from Yamaha (or a child for that matter), just have a side acccess point on the air box and slide the foam filter element out to service it, take 5 minutes not 5 hours!!  :evil:

Mustang

Quote from: "tattyTigger"
Quote from: "JetdocX"Airbox price???  Wait for it.......$75-80.  I just bought one.

And now for the real fun...the carbs come off before the airbox.  You thought your beemer was convoluted, just wait...

:

yup the Tiger must be the only bike that when you want to service the airfilter you need to buy the whole airbox, take the coils off, battery off, pretty much all the body work off and not forgetting the carbs  :roll:

..unbelieveable, I kept think this was someones idea of a joke when doing this job, Tiger could learn a lot from Yamaha (or a child for that matter), just have a side acccess point on the air box and slide the foam filter element out to service it, take 5 minutes not 5 hours!!  :evil:

Actually you don't have to buy it  :shock: , the air box unbolts and splits in two and the element is foam so you can wash it and reoil it . The only thing you have to pay attention to is on reassembly you have to seal the carb side of the element with silicone or it WILL suck dirt into the engine. :(  screw the box back together and reinstall on bike . Sorry there aint no cure for the carb removal , but it isn't so bad ,you unhook the choke cable and loosen all six band clamps on both sides of carb and they pull right out the right hand side slick as a whistle .

tattyTigger

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "tattyTigger"

:

Actually you don't have to buy it  :shock: , the air box unbolts and splits in two and the element is foam so you can wash it and reoil it . The only thing you have to pay attention to is on reassembly you have to seal the carb side of the element with silicone or it WILL suck dirt into the engine. :(  screw the box back together and reinstall on bike . Sorry there aint no cure for the carb removal , but it isn't so bad ,you unhook the choke cable and loosen all six band clamps on both sides of carb and they pull right out the right hand side slick as a whistle .

you must be talking about a different bike  :? , i have spent all day on this, and I am still struggling to get the carbs to fit on the new airbox, anyway enough is enough ithe Tiger is now on ebay, so at least I have the incentive to get it back together for the new owner  :lol:

skoron

Lost Viking:

When you are pulling the carbs to replace the air filter, double check the rubber sleeves between the airbox and carbs to make sure they haven't dried out and cracked.  That also makes the lean mixture worse.

To others, do you think he should check the swing arm bearing and regrease at 16,000 miles??

Enjoy the new to you bike.  You'll love it.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

JetdocX

I took all that apart due to a centerstand install and found them wonderfully greased and unworn at 32,000 miles.  They have zerk fittings on them to make greasing quick and easy.  YMMV, of course.
From parts unknown.