News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

99 Tiger 885 randomly won't start

Started by johnnyadventurepants, May 21, 2010, 04:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyadventurepants

OK, I've had the Tiger not start on me a couple of times over the past 2 years.  Always when warm.  Push the starter button and just a click.  Not trying to turn over or anything.  A couple more clicks.  Then on the 6th, 9th, or whatever try it just fires right up.  Like I said, it's only happened a couple of times and I'm not worried about it not starting- I know it will after a couple of tries.  I go trail riding in the mountains by my self and shut it off without a worry.  But it would be nice to fix whatever it is.  What do yo think? :?:
\'99 Tiger 885i

macgart

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ank+sensor

I don't know if this will help or not but it is interesting reading.  The last post on page 1 is really interesting.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

Wiggus

I've begun to have the same problem with my '99. I also had the exact same problem with a Honda Shadow. That turned out to just be a bad ignition switch, and I'm thinking that it is likely the same issue with the Tiger.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

mtv3

Just bought a 99 Tiger, been happily riding around for a few days searching out dirt roads and jeep trails and having a blast.

Got ready for work today, jumped on the the new toy and...., no start. the engine turns over. Sounds like not getting gas, tank is almost full, can hear the FI wind up but no go. Clutch pulled, in nuetral, kick stand up..., notta. So..., fired up the Harley, my very trusty steed, and off to work. So now I'm sitting here with my Triumph manual and no Tiger :evil:

Common problem?

Mustang

whats the previous owners service to bike like
I'm thinking valves need adjusting

park it in the sun for a while and let everything get warm and toasty from the sun and then see if it starts
if it does you probably need to shim some intakes

mtv3

Hopefully the sun will be out tomorrow, rather damp and moist outside at the moment.

Quote from: "Mustang"whats the previous owners service to bike like
I'm thinking valves need adjusting

park it in the sun for a while and let everything get warm and toasty from the sun and then see if it starts
if it does you probably need to shim some intakes