News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer wanted

Started by Hooligan, May 30, 2008, 10:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooligan

My buddy is looking for a steamer, North America only.
Let us know if you see one by chance in your local papers,
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Mustang

good luck with that ............but if you should find a clapped out one let me know . I would love to have a parts bike .

Hooligan

Actually we found a very nice 98 in Canada, 47,000km for only $5k. Looking into shipping at the moment.
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Mustang

47,000 km equals what roughly 30k miles  ?

Things to check b4 buying
1. does it start easily cold , if not valves probably need adjusting
2. does it rattle LOUD at idle .if so it has a broken alternator bolt
3. does it run smoothly thru all rpms ....if not probably needs coils
4. check the steering head bearings
5 check wheel bearings
6. has the chain and rubbing strips been replaced recently ....if not it's due
7 is the battery good
8. does the owner have any service records
these are things that can be easily overlooked at purchase time but will add to the cost of machine

$5k sounds kinda steep for a steamer $3k is more the norm with a low mileage(under 10 k) pristine one bringing $4k

I see Girly bikes which are several years newer going for $2500-$5000 all the time .

My opinion is a steamer with 30 k miles is not a $5000 m/c .
But of course only the buyer is the one who must make that decision .

John Stenhouse

I would concur with the learned gentleman above I paid not much more for an 05 Girly
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"I would concur with the learned gentleman above I paid not much more for an 05 Girly

Me too.

tigerrider

well, these things cost a good bit more in Canada though.

also, they are sorta different bikes. Some could imagine the '98 being more off road capable.

I know someone with a lovely Sprint RS for sale and it's a tempting thought...if I could get 3500 for my Tiger, I still wouldn't sell it yet. :)

Chad M

Yes, Tiger's were /are expensive in Canada.  My '05 was $15,000 new, American bikes are a steal by comparison.

Hooligan

Quote from: "Chad M"Yes, Tiger's were /are expensive in Canada.  My '05 was $15,000 new, American bikes are a steal by comparison.

Not any more, the $ has now leveled the playing field, to the dismay of the Canadian dealers.
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX