News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hello, 1st post: Question: Im 6'9" will the Tiger fit m

Started by TallRob, June 01, 2009, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallRob

Ive been reading that the Tiger is a good bike for normal sized guys like me. Inseam 38". I have some friends that run speed triples and they are pointing me in this direction. That there is none better. I am also looking at bmw gs 650/800 and ducati multistrada and ktm duke. Im a relative noob. I having been on a bike in decade. Mainly because I couldnt find a bike that fit many anymore.
 Slo i need some help on the slang you guys use.
WHat does a steamer mean? frankly the word steamer reminds me of the gift my dog would leave on the carpet in the morningif I didnt let him fast enough. Also girlies? Whats that mean? Reminds be of what my girlfriend calls her boobs. Hooreay for Boobs!

Stretch

Hi, Rob.  I'm 6'7" with a 37" inseam, and love love love my Tiger, although I have made a few alterations to make it fit more comfily...

Raising the seat... http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,17

Lowering the feetpegs... http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,9

Handlebar risers... http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,16

I believe GatorTiger is 6'8" or 6'9", and he's quite comfy on his Tiger as well.

"Steamers" and "Girlies"...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4212

TallRob

thanks for the fast reply. the seat issue is a my worry. i noticed that triumh sells a higher seat on their website. I wonder how much height you gain with their version.

flux

Welcome!  I'm 6'3" so shorter than you mutants but no midget by any means.  

I have a Corbin seat which splays your legs out a little more than stock, Pro Taper ATV mid bars, Rox Risers, and the forks are lowered a bit in the clamps as well.  I have some Fastway pegs I need to drill the collars on to work on the Tiger which will lower the pegs a little bit.  I fit the Tiger fine.  I want some highway pegs though to be able to stretch the ole knees out on though.  Now I just flip the passenger pegs down on longer journeys and rest my feet back there to change up the position from time to time.  

As for the slang, I like your definitions better but here are ours:

Steamer:  the first of the new Tigers, carbbed bikes, hence the name Steamer.  The coolest looking Tigers of all time and one day I will own one 'just because.'  

Girlies:  the first fuel injected Tigers earned this name because of the 'eyelash' paint scheme over the headlights.

The only one of the bikes you listed other than the Tiger that I have actually ridden is the Duke.  A GREAT bike and I would love to have one IN ADDITION to the Tiger.  But, its kinda cramped in my opinion.  Not sure how many miles I could put on ANY sportbike in a day.  Probably why I don't own a sportbike.  
Roadies: the newest Tigers have 17" hoops and are more road oriented.   8)

TallRob

I should add that its been a long time since ive been on a bike. Mainly due to not being able to find a bike that would fit me and grab my attention Like this one does. So, I'm eager to test drive all of those bikes. I'm also hoping that the Tiger isnt too much bike for me. I somehow don't think it will. Its a hard thing to nail sometimes whether a bike is too much.l I mean some times it's easy. Ducati 999, too much bike for me. Kawasaki KLR 650, too weak, boring and just biult like crap. I hope that one of these bikes. Especially the Tiger will be "just right". I'm kinda like Goldie Locks and the three bears. With the bears being bikes.

P.S. Hooray for Boobies!

abruzzi

At your height, any adventure bike will be a good choice.  In tigers, the Roadies are a little shorter than the Girlies and Steamers.

Another tall bike to look for is the KTM 950 S Adventure.  Especially the 04-05 models.  I have a KTM 950 (not an S) and my feet can't touch when I'm moving.  The S model cains an inch on the suspension, and the stock hight seat could gain you another inch (I have the stepped gel seat).  All that, and I doubt I could ride the bike (I'm 5'11") but it might be perfectly sized for you.

In BMWs the 800GS will probably be the tallest, unless you find a used XChallenge.

Geof

flux

The 950 Super Enduro might just be the tallest bike of all time as well.  Man, I WANT one of those!

TallRob

I spent my lunch hour visiting dealerships. I sat on the KTM Duke. (damn nice ), Kawasaki Versys ( fit ok. biuld quality-blah) and Triumph Tiger SE( yep, mighty fine), KTM 990( felt like my old CR 450-but the seat and my knee placement felt weird)and a suzuki V-strom(surprised at how well i fit-nice biuld quality).

Dr. Mordo

I will point out that if you want to spend approximately 1 million dollars, the BMW HP2 Enduro is notoriously tall, while also having way too much power as well (as if "too much power" was possible).

They aren't really 1 million dollars, but they are pretty expensive.

I'm a midget compared to you, but my BMW F650 has lower footpegs than my Tiger, which I would think would make it more comfortable for you.  From your KLR comments I know you wouldn't like the F650, but I think you should certainly check out the bigger BMWs to see if you feel less cramped on them.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

TallRob

One thing that bugged me about the 1050 tiger was the shifter. With my big feet. I had trouble getting my foot under the shifter. Is there any hack to get a longer shift lever? This is a problem ive had on all bikes.

TigerTrax

Just a note...
The '02-06 Tigers will take a Buell/Ulyses  footpeg that drops it about 1½".
You have to do some fabricating.... Stretch will chime in....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

Chiming in on cue...

"It's a pleasure to be back here at the Dexter Lake Club..."

In my first post here on this thread, I included a link to my Uly feetpegs projeck.