News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve adjustment

Started by Guest, June 30, 2008, 01:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought my  05 new in 06 and just passed 13k. I decided that not going to give my dealer 1000 bucks or what ever they want for a 12 k. So this will be my first valve adjustment on this bike.

Question; If I have do have to shim, do the shims  come in a kit or do I buy the shim(s) that I need ?

Also, what is typical at 12k on the valves ? I tend to ride pretty hard and  about 80% highway/20% gravel or dirt roads.

One more question; is there anything I should be specifically careful of ?

Appreciate the help.

Mustang

The shims come individual . sometimes you can find a dealer that will swap shims with you , but for the most part they are 5-7 bucks apiece.

Get a shop manual whether it be the factory bible or a haynes  etc etc

jmurguia

I tried to post the  Triumph Scheduled Maintenance that I scanned. I got a copy from the dealer last month.

But it's too big to attach to a reply:
1. How can I reduce it?
2. I could try email it to you
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

Quote from: "jmurguia"I tried to post the  Triumph Scheduled Maintenance that I scanned. I got a copy from the dealer last month.

But it's too big to attach to a reply:
1. How can I reduce it?
2. I could try email it to you

Appreciate the offer. I do have the factory shop manual. I have not adjusted the valves on this bike before and was wondering if it was tricky or fairly straight forward. The procedure seems simple enough, but I have made the mistake of underestimating repairs before.

Mustang

it's doable , it's a pain in the ass just like everything else that's triumph .
Be patient and you will save a few hundred $

blacktiger

It is doable. I did mine for the first time over winter.

All the Tigers that I know of have not required any shims at 12K. Mine needed one at 24K, a couple at 36K and only one at 48K which is the one I've just done.

If yours does need shims, the bummer will be that you have to get it out and check the size THEN go and buy the new one. You'll need a micrometer or good digital vernier because, unlike Yamaha shims, the size is not etched on the shim.
TIP:- you can extract the shims by undoing the cam caps and lifting the cams away from the shims without removing the cam chain. This way you don't need the special tool.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

All i've ever had done is the motor,i tell e'm not to touch anything else,and they are more than happy to do that.

They shim the motor,i let e'm put plugs and oil in(they've got to make a living although after 5000 miles i take e'm and put iridium in,and i change the oil every 3,000 miles anyway,i don't pay for it)  mine's now due a 25,000(at 28,000!!) service and we'll discuss the tune,the one thats in is a good one.

Shims?? i had 8 put at 12,000,but i ride my Tiger hard,so i wasn't suprised.

JetdocX

I put 8(?) shims in Cos's Girly at around 12K. :shock:
From parts unknown.

Cos

Quote from: "JetdocX"I put 8(?) shims in Cos's Girly at around 12K. :shock:

Yeah, but mine were loose, not tight...everybody was kinda surprised if i remember correctly.

The Kurgan

Quote from: "blacktiger"It is doable. I did mine for the first time over winter.

All the Tigers that I know of have not required any shims at 12K. Mine needed one at 24K, a couple at 36K and only one at 48K which is the one I've just done.

If yours does need shims, the bummer will be that you have to get it out and check the size THEN go and buy the new one. You'll need a micrometer or good digital vernier because, unlike Yamaha shims, the size is not etched on the shim.
TIP:- you can extract the shims by undoing the cam caps and lifting the cams away from the shims without removing the cam chain. This way you don't need the special tool.

When I had my head gasket replaced the tech checked my shims (of course)...

At only 2000 km, mine needed one shim. Apparently VERY tight (dealer thought it to be a factory goof up). The rest were, as you would imagine, on the loose end of the spectrum.

In a funny way, having a defective gasket saved my ass, as I would never have checked them for at least 12K, maybe even 24K.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]