News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical question

Started by Captscottreeh, August 29, 2008, 07:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captscottreeh

Replaced battery a few months ago and new battery has gone dead twice.Check engine light still on after 3 warm cycles.I tested the volts and heres the results: idle 12.9-14.05 volts (jumpy)  2000-4000rpm  14.23 volts.   Starting draws it down to 11.2-11.5 volts
Oh...1999 885i Tiger almost forgot that info.( 6,000 org miles )

While I have the Tiger tricked out to the way I like it and this is my second Triumph......I 'm really getting fustrated w/ Triumphs little quirks!:(

Can someone please help before I pull my hair out and go buy a Jap bike. LOL..
Deep in the heart of Texas!

JetdocX

Are the battery connections clean and tight?

I plug mine in to a tender at night to keep the battery happy.  Might work for you.  But definitely check the battery connections.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "Captscottreeh"Replaced battery a few months ago and new battery has gone dead twice.Check engine light still on after 3 warm cycles.I tested the volts and heres the results: idle 12.9-14.05 volts (jumpy)  2000-4000rpm  14.23 volts.   Starting draws it down to 11.2-11.5 volts
Oh...1999 885i Tiger almost forgot that info.( 6,000 org miles )

While I have the Tiger tricked out to the way I like it and this is my second Triumph......I 'm really getting fustrated w/ Triumphs little quirks!:(

Can someone please help before I pull my hair out and go buy a Jap bike. LOL..
Could be a bad stator or corroded connectors from the stator . How much has the bike been ridden since replacing the battery and did the new battery get a decent overnight charge at 2 amps or less before being put into service ?

Bixxer Bob

Other than the jumpy voltage at idle there doesn't seem to be much wrong with your charging circuit.  Have you checked out whether you've got a voltage leak? Maybe intermittent?  Is one of your gadgets or an alarm the culprit?

If you can fit a visible volt meter (there's a couple of threads on here somewhere) that way you can keep an eye on the charging side whilst you ride.  You can also disconnect one battery terminal and put a meter in line to see whether there's any current being drawn when everything's supposedly switched off - although you won't necessarily find it if the fault is intermittent.  If you do find current flowing, then it's just a matter of finding what's doing it by elimination.

Good luck.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Captscottreeh

I properly charged the new battery before installing and my batterry connections are tight and clean.Bike is in showroom condition :) except for scratches on tank from original owner due to dropping bike.:(
I rode the bike on a 200 plus mile trip last Sunday and then Tuesday.....nada....battery dead.I do not have any electrical " farkles ". Could it be a bad cell in the battery? And last but not least....anyone have any ideas why my engine light won't go out.On another note...my fuel sending unit is out but that did not cause my check engine light to be on before?Thanks for the replys guys :)

blacktiger

Shot in the dark here. Have you got the extra relays to get both headlamps on? Are they the right ones?
Initially I fitted the wrong type and they drained the battery intermittently.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Good thinking there BT.

As for the engine light.  in a seperate thread in the General Discussion I posted an Ebay link where you can buy a cheap gadget to read the engine light codes (USBD 2)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Captscottreeh

blacktiger,

Not sure about the relays.Boths headlights are on, while on low beam and high beam.Was this standard from the factory on 99's?
I have not had time to check on anything because of working 12hr graveyards and the approaching hurricane!:(

Bixxer Bob,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Mustang

Quote from: "Captscottreeh"blacktiger,

Not sure about the relays.Boths headlights are on, while on low beam and high beam.Was this standard from the factory on 99's?
I have not had time to check on anything because of working 12hr graveyards and the approaching hurricane!:(

Bixxer Bob,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
US model tigers came standard with both headlamps lit on dip or low beam

superhauck

I've just experienced my first toasted stator on my 01 Tiger...unpleasant to diagnose, even worse to replace with factory stuff.  I just ordered from Electrosport a new stator ($130) vice the Triumph version ($450).  Something you might consider, although the dealer did my diagnosis for me...so I can't help you in that area.

Stretch

Read here to diagnose a possible stator problem...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4861

stook

Quote from: "Captscottreeh"I properly charged the new battery before installing and my batterry connections are tight and clean.Bike is in showroom condition :) except for scratches on tank from original owner due to dropping bike.:(
I rode the bike on a 200 plus mile trip last Sunday and then Tuesday.....nada....battery dead.I do not have any electrical " farkles ". Could it be a bad cell in the battery? And last but not least....anyone have any ideas why my engine light won't go out. On another note...my fuel sending unit is out but that did not cause my check engine light to be on before? Thanks for the replys guys :)

See if you think this is relevant... This fellow is on an extended tour (He's from England, currently in Portland, OR) and (among other issues) was having problems with the check engine light staying on. (I'm posting his comment here, the link to his actual post follows)
"I've made it to Portland Oregon where I managed to find a clutch cable and get new plugs fitted. The bike is running perfect now. Anyone who has the same problem as me with the engine management light on, try checking for dirty connector blocks before panicking! Mine is fine now. Getting the bike home before I run out of money means I have to be in New York by 23rd Sept at the latest. I'm hoping to see the Redwoods and on to Yosemite and maybe Yellowstone. Also considering Canada to avoid the Chicago area! If anyone knows anywhere cheap to stay on my very flexible route please let me know!
Check out my blog www.poorcirculation2.blogspot.com
Thanks!"

Link:  http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-chat/92 ... 955-a.html