News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

27,000 service

Started by Chris Canning, September 03, 2008, 12:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Well had my 25,000 service done at 27,000,well sort of,just shims,and balanced the injectors,had a conversation about another map,this one has been in for some years and decided to stick with it.

Despite the mechanic moving a couple of times,he always worked on the bike over the last 7 years,that will stop as he's going to another Triumph dealer in Perth in Oz,so it'll be a bit of a distance to go in future :wink:

When i dropped the bike off,i mentioned that i'd be interested to see how many shims he'd put into it,as the bike had a serious hammering since the last service,he put 6 in,he mentioned it's the bikes that people potter about on that always need more :? ,got it back yesterday,running like a Swiss watch :lol:

Stretch

Sweet.  

A shame about your mechanic going to Perth though.  That'll be quite a commute for you.

Mine's due for that service in another thousand miles, but it'll have to wait until I get back from a trip in October.  It's running great with no noises or issues, so a few hundred additional miles should be no cause for alarm.

I'm planning on taking lots of pics of the disassembly and related service, and making a How-To post out of it.  It'll probably be a bit labor-intensive, but it'll be good to have that in our Hallowed Halls of Wisdom.

M.T.

That would be awesome Stretch!

Mine will need it's 12k service here before too long and I've been on the fence about whether to do it myself.  If you're going to be the video-guinea-pig, I'll start to feel a little bit better about my odds of sucess!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

2004Tiger

Stretch, does there exist a 12K mile write up? This would be useful to many owners. If not, is it possible to incorporate 12K proceedures into your impending 25K How-To? Perhaps there is no difference, but never having done either service (I'm due for 12K), I need some coaching.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Chris Canning

It's funny,pay to have the motor set up,now the bike is in bits all over the garage floor,while i fit metal fuel connectors and change the fuel filter!!.

Stretch

Quote from: "2004Tiger"Stretch, does there exist a 12K mile write up?...  ...is it possible to incorporate 12K proceedures into your impending 25K How-To?

There's not a service How-To posted here, hence the necessity to create one.  I'm going to do a complete service, so pretty much anything that can be done will be covered.

I'll probably start on the service in November, after I do my partial ride of the Trans-America Trail.  And since I'll be taking notes and photos as I do the service procedures, it will probably be finished just a couple days before the end of time.  And then I'll have to upload the photos and write the narrative.  I hope you guys are patient.

Chris Canning

Well, i've always done most of the maintenance myself,what i've never bothered doing is shiming the motor,throttle bodies and the engine tune,the reason being,it's the only Tiger i've got!!! haveing someone do it who's done loads,he knows exactly how good you can get e'm.

Interestingly when i collected the bike he said just changing the shim will knock the throttle body out,and as i've said on the post,i've learned my lesson tinkering with Triumphs various tunes,although i have toyed with the idea of a PC as i run one on another bike,and know the improvement that made,after it had been on a rolling road dyno.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning",as the bike had a serious hammering since the last service,he put 6 in,he mentioned it's the bikes that people potter about on that always need more :?

You see Chris, what you consider to be a "serious hammering" is really just pottering about for the rest of us. :roll: Mine only needed one shim at 24K. :)
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

outrunner

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Interestingly when i collected the bike he said just changing the shim will knock the throttle body out.

I would be interested to know how fitting a new shim would alter the throttle body settings. Did he explain the reason to you?

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Chris Canning

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "Chris Canning",as the bike had a serious hammering since the last service,he put 6 in,he mentioned it's the bikes that people potter about on that always need more :?

You see Chris, what you consider to be a "serious hammering" is really just pottering about for the rest of us. :roll: Mine only needed one shim at 24K. :)

You being the tight git that you are,more like you only were prepared to pay for one :wink:

Hi Andy

Re the shim V Throttle body,nope i didn't ask,but he was very matter of fact when he said it,i spent more time asking about who was going to do it as he was leaving.