News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Drive line snatch?

Started by goosen2002, September 07, 2008, 06:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosen2002

I have a quick question for the Tiger riders out there. Lately I have been experiencing an increasing amount of what seems like chain snatch on my 2002. I say "seems like", because when I checked the condition and adjustment of the chain, all seems well. I thought maybe I hadn't tightened the 19 tooth sprocket enough when I installed it, but that too is still tight. However, I did notice what I thought was excessive amounts of play in the transmission. So, here is the question, with the rear wheel off of the ground and the transmission in first, how much clockwise to counter clockwise play should there be?

Thanks in advance for your help
Black 2002

blacktiger

Could be that your cush drive rubbers need attention.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

goosen2002

Thanks blacktiger, i'll take a look at the shop manual when I get home. I am HOPING it is a "do it yourself" thing.
Black 2002

Mustang

Could it be the effects of going to a 19 tooth sprocket in conjunction with the NORMAL amount of slop in the gear box .
There has to be some play in the gearsets or that gearbox would whine so loud at 65mph you would never ride it .

goosen2002

I checked again last night. The play is not in the wheel, it is in the transmission. At the circumference of the sprocket there is about 3/4" of back and forth movement. Like I said before, it seems excessive to me. Are there any more ideas before I take it in and have the dealer give me his opinion?
Black 2002