News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

idle air screw adjustment / initial setting

Started by RobH, October 05, 2008, 07:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobH

Making a bit of progress with what has turned out to be a project bike, although it was supposed to be a 'good 'un'.

Carbs are back together but I've found the idle air adjustment screws appear to be set randomly - one is 7 1/2 turns out (!), one is screwed in tight (!), I haven't checked the other but it looks somewhere inbetween. IMO someone has been messing with these without knowing what they're doing. Is there an 'initial setting' that can put the carbs somewhere in the ball park? What do you guys have yours set to? I know they're supposed to be factory set by Triumph but it looks as though someone wasn't happy with Triumph's setting.

Presumably the only way to set these accurately is to use a suitable CO2 meter? I suppose I may have to pay the local main dealer to get it right..?

Cheers
H!

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Quote from: "RobH"Making a bit of progress with what has turned out to be a project bike, although it was supposed to be a 'good 'un'.

Carbs are back together but I've found the idle air adjustment screws appear to be set randomly - one is 7 1/2 turns out (!), one is screwed in tight (!), I haven't checked the other but it looks somewhere inbetween. IMO someone has been messing with these without knowing what they're doing. Is there an 'initial setting' that can put the carbs somewhere in the ball park? What do you guys have yours set to? I know they're supposed to be factory set by Triumph but it looks as though someone wasn't happy with Triumph's setting.

Presumably the only way to set these accurately is to use a suitable CO2 meter? I suppose I may have to pay the local main dealer to get it right..?

Cheers
H!

the idle mixture screws work really well for me at sea level set at 2 to 2 1/2 turns out . This is with Keihin carbs on a 98  and I have a 100 for mains and the pilot is stock , I have also shimmed my needles to the tune of ,025 inch ( equals about one notch on a mikuni needle )

if you have mikunis I think they came from the factory with bigger main jets than the keihins but the pilot screw settings still work good at 2 turns on the mikunis .

RobH

Thanks guys, I have the Mikuni carbs, I'll give them a go at 2 turns out. There are a few dead links on the page that you linked to John but good info all the same.

RobH