News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Swinging arm removal

Started by Boo, December 22, 2013, 09:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

Thought I would give the Tigger a Christmas Service. Tried to remove the swinging arm to give it some grease. Took off the wheel, brake, chainuard etc. Removed the bolt and spindle easily enough. The arm itself will not come out. Why????? Any sugestions?

rf9rider

You might have to loosen the rear engine mount bolts.

Found this problem on the Steamers.

Timbox2

Yep, what RF9 said, rear lower eng mntg bolts need loosening, I came up against the same thing when I removed the shock and decided to lube the swing arm bearings. Spray the nuts and threads on the inside with plenty of plusgas or similar before attempting to loosen them, mine had quite a build up of corrosion on the exposed threads.
On mine I only had to loosen the nuts up a few threads each side, oh and while your doing that check the lower chain slider block that sits on the L/H bolt spacer and make sure its the right way up when you re-tighten the bolt, mine had turned 180 degrees.
2016 Tiger Sport

Boo

Just as I thought. Same problem with Ducati's. Why do these dipsticks who call themselves engineers design something with no means of lubrication. Whats the matter with a greasr nipple occasionally?
Many thanks,
   Boo.

Timbox2

Quote from: Boo on December 23, 2013, 10:00:03 PM
Just as I thought. Same problem with Ducati's. Why do these dipsticks who call themselves engineers design something with no means of lubrication. Whats the matter with a greasr nipple occasionally?
Many thanks,
   Boo.

Yep, I agree, think the early Steamers were the last Tigers to have Grease nipples on the rear suspension, quite a few I think, same with cars in it, ahh the days of trunnions and king pins, them were the days, nothing like a good reaming :icon_mrgreen:
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Ah reaming, now you've got me started..... :blah custom made taper reamers for Phantom main spar crack repairs. A labour of love if ever there was one.....  I was only 23 at the time; it's hard go believe I used to do stuff like that. :icon_redface:

Oh, well, back to reality :icon_confused:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

Defo took yer time there mate.
Grinding, line boring, all internals on experimental one off engines in those days before CAD.
Was always the saying at GM, once the boy always the boy........ Those baffled it means the apprentice always got the crap jobs.....The older guys seem to forget that apprentiship finished years before.

:icon_study:
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

trophydave

I got my swingarm out without having to loosen the rear engine mountings.Be careful not to loose the spacers that fit between swingarm and frame,one of mine escaped and took a bit of finding.

Jesse180

Does anyone know if a 2000 Trophy swing arm will fit a 99 Tiger?  The clamp for the chain adjuster has snapped and the replacement I ordered on eBay is damaged found prior to shipment, however he has a 00 Trophy swing arm. Thanks

Timbox2

Quote from: Jesse180 on January 08, 2014, 07:16:21 PM
Does anyone know if a 2000 Trophy swing arm will fit a 99 Tiger?  The clamp for the chain adjuster has snapped and the replacement I ordered on eBay is damaged found prior to shipment, however he has a 00 Trophy swing arm. Thanks

No,  Trophy set up is totally different with linkage arms for the shock
2016 Tiger Sport

cba191

Is it easier to replace the shock with the swingarm off?  I'm having a beat of a time getting that bottom torx bolt off.

Got it. It was either that or the whole exhaust.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce