News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Re-assembling the bike after 5 months - question

Started by matttys, March 26, 2009, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Quote from: "JasonS"To clarify .. EVERY time you disconnect the battery you are going to get the Check Engine Light. The Light will clear after threes warm/cool cycles.. IE the bike has to actually Cool all the way down... as said if after that the light stays on a code has been triggered....just to clarifyu

I've had my battery pulled 3 times... never had a check engine light come on.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Mustang"While it only takes three heat cycles to Turn off the check engine light , as long as it does not encounter any faults during the three heat cycles .

Exactly. This is a bike that didn't have any fault codes before disassembly and likely didn't pick up any except the disconnected battery code (voltage? I forget what it's called) that most of us will agree is hit or miss for some reason.

My wrench would have told me to hang onto my cash and try to clear the codes with heat cycles first. He knows I'll spend that $10 with him later because I trust him to have my best interests at heart. YMMV.
Bruin\'

Mustang

I would'nt have spent the money either , as it is common knowledge about the three heat cycles shutting off the light ,  but the codes do not clear in the computer just because the light went out . they stay in memory and can be read by the scanner , it's how techs will know when there has been an issue even when there is no check engine light , after the codes have been retrieved the scan tool will clear the memory  :wink:

matttys

I think the $10 was money well spent.  Remember that I did call them on at 11am on a Saturday morning and they were able to hook the tool up by 12:15pm.  Without knowing that it could just be a low voltage or battery fault I think the money was justified.

I did extensive electrical work to the bike and was a bit worried that I may have screwed something up.  Piece of mind to have the fault cleared and to know my bike was just fine would have been worth 3 times as much as I spent.  Just my opinion.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

matttys

Quote from: "Bruincounselor"PS - Checked your website, you are obviously quite talented with both latex and wrench. Way Cool :occasion14

Thank you for the compliments.  In this economy my business is down about 40% over last year.  Generally I would piss and moan about this, but now that I have a 'real' job and get some spare time to spend on my hobbies I'm not too bummed out.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Mustang

Quote from: "matttys"I think the $10 was money well spent.  Remember that I did call them on at 11am on a Saturday morning and they were able to hook the tool up by 12:15pm.  Without knowing that it could just be a low voltage or battery fault I think the money was justified.

I did extensive electrical work to the bike and was a bit worried that I may have screwed something up.  Piece of mind to have the fault cleared and to know my bike was just fine would have been worth 3 times as much as I spent.  Just my opinion.
For 10 bucks ya done good !
Nothing like a warm and fuzzy feeling
 :D