News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni fuel starvation update

Started by 97tiger885, October 15, 2008, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

A few months back I removed the sock filter from the primary intake tube of the petcock on my 97 Steamer with the Mikuni carbs to eliminate stalling.  I did not remove the sock filter from the reserve intake tube hoping for profit, fun and to influence friends.  The stalling was eliminated...until a few weeks back rolling to Cincinnatti to Empress Chili (8000 block of N. Vine).  On the interstate showing 188 on the trip odometer (about 8/10s of a gallon left) and about 72 degrees, the mc refused to run above 45 mph and ran poorly above 35 mph.  I limped to a gas station, filled up and the problem went away.  Lesson learned:  The sock filter on the reserve is also a problem when fuel is low.  I plan to remove it the next time I pull the tank.  

I talked to a steamer owner with Mikunis at AR and he said he had stalling problems due to venting.  I wonder if there really is a venting problem or whether it is a misdiagnosed sock problem.  I would think that the venting problem would go away if you ran with the gas cap open and you could eliminate venting by using that test.  My suggestion is remove both socks.

offtheback

I had venting problems on my trail bike when it was hot and riding hard.  Build of dust in the vent (the little bling aluminum ones are the worst) and over pressure the tank.  I have heard this called vapor lock.

My tiger whistles when it gets hot sometimes.  I removed both filters on mine and since you are experiencing the problem w/ low fuel and on reserve I would assume the same as your theory..
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

pinner

I think this topic (or at least a related one)has been covered, but......
Just yesterday on my ride into work my 95 started to run rough. cough and finally idle down to the point that I pulled off the road and it died :shock: :?:  .  I had this exact situation this summer comming back from Prudoe Bay.  Medicmike and I had off loaded the fairy in Prince Rupert BC.  My bike had run strong for the previous 6,000 miles of the trip.  We were headed to Smithers BC when it started to sputter with 130 miles into a new tank of fuel.  As I pulled to the side it finally died.  I tried to start it without success.  Even though I didn't think it would change anything, I switched over to reserve and tried it again, no luck.  Back to primary before i begin a disassemble and it starts up.  Same exact experience yesterday.  Got id up and running and into work.
This morning, the same behavior except that it did not die but still running as though starved for fuel.
From what I have heared in the past, possibly issues with the tank screens or psition of fuel lin/filter.

Does that sound like in the right ball park?
Ps Greg, thanks for ride report.  Called to see if yiou wanted to ride today.  Too late though, picked up a partial shift at Sta 19
"The path to righteousness and wisdom is as narrow and difficult to walk as the razor\'s edge."