News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sump oil leak and poor idling

Started by Zizi, October 22, 2008, 08:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zizi

Howdy y'all,

I know i just posted a few weeks ago about valve clearances, and just when I was happy with fixing those and the bike running smoothly I discovered two new problems!   After you guys immediate and dead on diagnosis of the valve clearance issue, I'm hoping u'll have some insight into these problems.

1)  I have an oil leak, drops about two or three drops whenever it is parked.  tracking it down it seems to be originating from the rear of the sump, specifically where the sump connects up with the rest of the engine.  Is this a common problem??  What could have caused it to start dripping??
I ordered a gasket for the sump, but unless I am mistaken it seems like it will be a HUGE undertaking to replace the bottom gasket.   Any tips on how I could go about doing this without removing the engine block?  Is it even doable without a full mechanics shop?

2) poor idling and running at low rpm.  even after the bike has warmed up.   The bike starts up great without any problem, but the idling feels like its a little choked so is the bike moving at low rpm (<2500), sometimes feels like its gonna cut out.  But once ur over that it runs fine!

3) Bike seems to be heating up quite a bit, when I'm stuck in minor traffic, it never goes past 3/4 and the fan kicks in fine, but it almost seems to be heating up way more than it should.  Perhaps I'm just being paranoid!

Thanks y'all,
Z

Mustang

Quote from: "Zizi"1)  I have an oil leak, drops about two or three drops whenever it is parked.  tracking it down it seems to be originating from the rear of the sump, specifically where the sump connects up with the rest of the engine.  Is this a common problem??  What could have caused it to start dripping??
I ordered a gasket for the sump, but unless I am mistaken it seems like it will be a HUGE undertaking to replace the bottom gasket.   Any tips on how I could go about doing this without removing the engine block?  Is it even doable without a full mechanics shop? the common places for an oil leak are
1) clutch pushrod seal #1 offender
2) output shaft for sprocket seal
3) gear shift shaft seal
if you think it's leaking from the sump you should be able to replace the gasket without yanking the motor .
I would try first just tightening the screws up that hold the sump cover on , seeing it is only a couple of drops .

2) poor idling and running at low rpm.  even after the bike has warmed up.   The bike starts up great without any problem, but the idling feels like its a little choked so is the bike moving at low rpm (<2500), sometimes feels like its gonna cut out.  But once ur over that it runs fine! That sounds like coils to me , Nology is what you want to replace with better coil and 1/2 the price of triumph

3) Bike seems to be heating up quite a bit, when I'm stuck in minor traffic, it never goes past 3/4 and the fan kicks in fine, but it almost seems to be heating up way more than it should.  Perhaps I'm just being paranoid! the temp sensor in the cyl. head is a joke , you can screw in three diferant ones and get three diff readings . If it makes ya feel better I can give you a sensor that will only show a little bit of movement no matter how hot it gets , If you are not boiling over don't worry about that silly temp gauge .

Thanks y'all,
Z