News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Service advice needed

Started by diggerT, December 09, 2008, 01:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diggerT

I bought my 03 with only 2,500 miles on it in april. It only had oil and filter change since new and had been stored in a garage and obviously not used much. I changed the oil and filter initially and have now added 6,000 miles so I reckon it's due some attention. It's way out of spec for recommended servicing now according to the handbook, but what should I get checked in particular now it's an 8,500 mile 5 year old bike?  Will it need valve clearance checking etc or should I leave them till 12,000? I would like to get it back on track for scheduled servicing as I do nearer 10,000 miles a year.
It has no obvious starting or running problems.

Many thanks

DiggerT

Mustang

8500 miles
.....I would leave the vaves until the 12 k service and the rest is just fluff anyway that the dealer does .
Unless the bike is stored outside at 5 years old she won't be needing much for service .
Check the brake pads , confirm your chain and sprockets are still good , grease the suspension (rear) and ride that big dog .

If it aint broke don't screw with it ! :D

Tom Herold

+1 on Mustang's input, but I'd like to add taking a look at your brake fluid and lines.

The lines dry rot on the outside, and decompose on the inside due to contact with the fluid.  The particles contaminate the fluid and deminish the braking over time.

Ride it and enjoy!!!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

diggerT

Is it worth replacing brake hoses with braided ones or are they just a marketing ruse?

Mustang

Quote from: "diggerT"Is it worth replacing brake hoses with braided ones or are they just a marketing ruse?
I believe you'll find that your tigger already has braided stainless lines on the brakes . they just have a rubber or plastic sleeve over them .
Tiggers went to braided stainless lines with the 98 steamers

Chris Canning

My Tiger has never had a full service,i do everything except shimming and fuelling,they were done at 6,000,15,000 and 27,000 there was only fuelling at 6000 as i was in the process of finding a decent fuel map,the one i had put in at 15,000 is the same as i have in now,when i had the motor shimmed in september i told him to leave the map and he just balanced the injectors and it runs the best it's ever done in 8 years,the last time cost me a couple of hundred quid,yes i could do it myself,but it's the only Tiger i have were as the shop deal with loads of e'm and know a dam sight more about a good'un from a bad u'n,but that also applies to dealers,i've used 3 over 8 years and always the same guy has worked on the bike,the problem being he's now left and gone to a dealer(Triumph) in Perth Australia :( so it's a tad too far to go.