News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas Tank question

Started by zombie, December 09, 2008, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

Here's my problem
After doing all my own servicing on me bike  
my gas tank won't fit on the bike right in that it's not lining up on the front bolt hole correctly. it's about 1/8 inch off.
I have stood the thing on it's head and bounced up and down on the bastard thing to no avail , I even went so far as to kick the thing out of my workshop in a hissy fit but still out of shape.
Any advice will be considered. I do have a spare tank but I wanted to save my glorious matt black paint job with stickers.

John Stenhouse

I've heard about this on KTMs but not on Tiggers. Have you had the tank somewhere warm? On the KTM, the tanks seem to distort and have to be forced back into position, which I would think isn't terribly good for them.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

John Stenhouse

Before forcing anything I would re check all the fittings and make sure you haven't trapped anything where it shouldn't be
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

I find that on the steamers with 10 year old plastic tanks .......they do shrink and grow with heat and cold . try keeping the tank in the house till it gets to room temp and with the cap open try to fit it to the bike then .

It is for this reason I try and not leave the tank off the bike for very long  , more than a few days and it seems like the bastard doesn't fit right .

Chris Canning

Does the spare tank fit??

zombie

hey chris
the spare tank fits perfectly
so I'm going to paint it up and go that way as the real problem is the stretched tank doesn't allow the front fairing to line up right

Chris Canning

Right!! if you fit the front and get the bolt in,can you swing the back down and get the bolt in at the back,seems pretty strange,it's a big old piece of plastic to distort,there has to be somthing catching or not seating somwhere,i've also got a spare tank i'll have a look.

zombie

I've figured out how it distorted as it was off the bike for a while and the way it was sitting caused the front to push out enough to cause it to distort.
no biggie as I'm going to put a ratchet tie down on both bolt holes and pull it in that way