News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Questions about voltage fix on an '01

Started by DaJudge, November 15, 2008, 05:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaJudge

I bought an '01 Girly a week ago and really like it.  

The charging voltage at the battery is only about 13.3V, so I want to do the "Sasquatch voltage fix" on it this weekend.  I'm trying to figure out where the R/R is located on this model year.  The wires from the stator look like they go up the left side and up underneath the fuel tank.  

What should I be looking for?  Do I need to pull the tank off to accomplish the job?

Thanks!

sixx

On a 05 the wires from the stator 3 yellow run to the regulator which is on the left looking forward bolted to the frame about 9" in front of the battery box the wires from the regulator run up behind the tank red and black in a black sleeve to a plug that exits the loom.

Six

DaJudge

Thanks sixx.

Sasquatch has been helping me with this via PM and I've been looking all over that general area (at least as far as I can with the left side panel off and w/o pulling the tank).  Following the wires from the stator leads me up under the front left side of the airbox.   :?

I may take some pics of what I'm seeing there, post them and see if that reveals anything.

REGULATOR

did you every take any pics?

I'm thinking i need to do the fix so I don't overwhelm my system with all the electrics

matttys

I've going to be tackling this mod in the upcoming week or so and wouldn't mind some pictures as well  :wink:

I'll take some pictures of mine when I add the TT 13w HID's, Gerbings Heatroller, Centech box, Stebel horn, Datel voltmeter and GPS. . . This is going to be soooooo much easier than doing one piece at a time like I did on my Dakar.  I pitty anyone that has to work on that bike besides me, the loom looks like a bird's nest!
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

DaJudge

Looks like I'm going to have to wait to take those pics or otherwise work on this mod until next time I pull the tank.  I've looked diligently for the R/R by following the wires with the tank on and I can't lay eyes on it. :(

During Christmas, I'll have lots of time off and may just go ahead and pull the tank, do the fuel filter, replace the one remaining plastic female fuel fitting with the metal one i have on the shelf (I already upgraded one cracked plastic one with metal - $17 each from www.rideteamtriumph.com) and find that elusive R/R.

Cheers

AndyM

Pull the side panels on the left side of the bike. You can see the back side of the regulator under the rear side panel.

DaJudge

Happy New Year everyone.

I had finally spotted the RR behind the left side panel, but the wiring harness connection on mine had been cable-tied up under the tank.  I had the tank off this week doing spark plugs and valve clearances, so before I put it back on I went ahead and did the voltage mod.

I wired it as described (and shown in his photos) by Sasquatch.  I'm now reading 14.6V at the battery with the engine at idle. :D