News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAR is done!

Started by Mr. Jetmoto, January 04, 2009, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Jetmoto

Sweet. I can't believe the difference in engine noise. It purrs like a kitten now!

I've got a set of karoo travelers on order to replace my worn out tourances and I'll be ready to roll!

nightrunner

Cool.  The triples have a nice little growl when they're running properly.  I remember how much nicer mine sounded.   I recall the PO telling me not to worry its just a noisy engine.  I took it to a Triumph dealer and had a mechanic listen to it; he said the same thing.    Years later I tell this story to a different Triumph mechanic.  He said he had never heard of a problem with the alternators.  He also told me the factory jetting was perfect ("they like to run lean") and not to believe what I read on the on-line forums.    :roll:  Ohhhkay.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Stretch

Toe the Company Line at all costs, eh?

Jeez, I'm glad I can read.

Dr. Mordo

Congrats!  Any tips you have for people wrassling with DAR in the future would be welcome.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Congrats!  Any tips you have for people wrassling with DAR in the future would be welcome.

Well it was pretty easy. You just get her warmed up, drive down to the mechanic's shop and hand him your wallet.

The next day, you get a much better sounding bike, and a little broken bolt to make a keychain out of.

Seriously, this job was way over my head, I had no prob letting my mechanic do it.

nightrunner

Oy Vey.   See if you can get the details of what your mechanic did.   DAR is due to a design flaw.  If he just replaced the bolt, it will happen again in a few thousand miles.    Anyway its fixed now so enjoy the ride!!
Scott

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "nightrunner"Oy Vey.   See if you can get the details of what your mechanic did.   DAR is due to a design flaw.  If he just replaced the bolt, it will happen again in a few thousand miles.    Anyway its fixed now so enjoy the ride!!

He did just replace the bolt, but it didn't cost me much at all, so if it goes again, I have him replace it then sell the POS, never buying another triumph again. If it's a design flaw they should have done a recall.

Mustang

Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"
Quote from: "nightrunner"Oy Vey.   See if you can get the details of what your mechanic did.   DAR is due to a design flaw.  If he just replaced the bolt, it will happen again in a few thousand miles.    Anyway its fixed now so enjoy the ride!!

He did just replace the bolt, but it didn't cost me much at all, so if it goes again, I have him replace it then sell the POS, never buying another triumph again. If it's a design flaw they should have done a recall.
:shock:

abruzzi

Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"

They did do a recall, but didn't expand it as wide as they should have.  Instead, they only sell the new parts.  The big question if what grade bolt your mechanic used, since it wasn't a triumph part he used.  If he used a 4.6 or a 5.8 its almost sure to shear again.  If he used a 10.9 (the actual triumph part is a 10.9) it will last a while.

Geof

nightrunner

I found a DIN 12.9 to replace mine but even that will break if the splines have any room to jiggle.  I suppose if one used a flat washer instead of a lock washer and then Loctite the bolt it would be OK.  The problem is that the slight jiggle play slowly tightens the bolt until it snaps.
Scott

offtheback

After replacing mine with the Triumph upgrade kit there was no 'wiggle' in the assembly.  It should hold up for the time I will continue to own it, hopefully..
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break