News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help She's Broken

Started by Silverstripes, February 21, 2009, 10:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstripes

She's broken
She went and let me down today. Nice day at last, running along fine and then flashing Engine and fuel lights and one very large flat spot . No go at all.

Started checking the usual fuses and so forth and identified no fuel pump. I could not hear it prime when IGN swithched on.

Beaten by the side of the road, I called the RAC. He (a biker) did all the checks I did and then pluged a gismo into the injectors and found, no pulse. He also tried his diagnostics laptop but it would not talk to the ECU.

To cut a long story short, we worked together and found the feed to the main power relay OK, but the feed from the relay to the fuse box only 3v. Manualy close the relay and she runs. By pass the relay and she runs. so with a bypass in place I got her home.

The problem therefore seems to be the switched earth from the ECU. As the relay is feed with 12v non switched, the switching is performed by the ECU, making an earth contact thus ennergising the relay. A solution may be to install a relay which will swith the earth supply and bypass the feed from the ECU. This relay will be energised when the Ign is switched on, thus switching and earth rater than power as normal.

Anyone else had a similar fault . Will a software reload solve the problem, or do you think like me that a component in the ECU has failed

Mustang

my bet is on a transistor in the ecu has fried itself

thats all transistors are is glorified switches
i fixed an igniter for a steamer once that had a stuck transistor ,

triumph will want to sell you the new ecu for big money , if you or someone you know is handy with electronics you may be able to repair it

John Stenhouse

There is a company that did work on an ecu from a car down in Plymouth, he charged £178 to completely rebuild the ECU after it got soaked, one from Mitsubishi was £480.
IIRC he was called ecu doctor, if that doesn't google I'll try and find out if my old boss has the number.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Silverstripes

Thanks John.

However from their Web site they dont't do bikes.

Still trying other things at the moment.

tigersux

Doesn't Triumph-ant (http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/) or one of the other breakers in the UK have used ECU's at a reasonable cost?  I bought a used ECU on ebay for 50.00 a year or so ago and it worked fine.  I have it in a drawer as a just in case part.  I think any triumph ECU of the same generation will work with the proper tune applied at least that was my experience.  Also from memory the internals are filled with a silicone type material and all of the actual parts are basically inaccessible or non repairable to the average owner.  I don't think they were really made to repair.  I don't think they really go bad very often either.