News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

She's broken update

Started by Silverstripes, February 25, 2009, 09:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstripes

Those that viewed my previous post (She's Broken) will know I had an electrical issue which caused a breakdown. The fuel pump and ignition relay would not energise.

After many hours Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, I gave up, yes beaten at last as I could find nothing wrong and no way to byepass the fault.

Off she went to the Stealer.

Update today Its the ECU . The stealer did the diagnostics and all was well but the gameboy would not talk to the ECU. he tried a Donor ECU and all was well and she ran.

How much is an ECU I asked

Around the £ 1,000 mark was the reply .

I had checked Ebay this morning and found one at the breakers for £120 + Postage. So I bought that. When it arrives it will be remapped and fitted.

Do you get many of these things fail I asked

No not realy but this is the 2nd this month .

WIll post when she is well again. There may be some parts for sale soon as featured on my Blog pages http://silver-stripes.blogspot.com/

This may include a NWS hugger, Touratech crash bars, LED indicater conversion, sub frame for bike lift, TOR Exhaust, Triuph top box, inner bags for Panniers, 1150 GS hanguards with spoilers (new) only been on 1 week before she broke down, high Triumph screen, and mirror extenders.

I am considering going to the dark side

PeteH

pm sent on the site also.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

The Kurgan

Sorry to hear that one rather minor problem has lead you to look at other motorcycle options. I've been riding for 22 years, and I can tell you that there aren't any "perfect" motorcycles out there. As far as an ECU goes... an easy plug and play replacement. As for cost, you seem to have found a low cost fix. I would be happy and keep riding the thing, especially after the money and time you've put into it. Of course, this is only my opinion.  :D  The pre-2007 Tiger is one of the most reliable motorcycles out there! Most issues reported are minor in nature and easy to fix. Ever try digging into a bottom end for main bearing problems? Ever try replacing gears in a transmission? Ever have fueling system problems? Ever have to constantly adjust TPS and TB's? These are some of the things that you'll find with the competition.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

John Stenhouse

I'm with the Kurgan, be silly to sell the beast thinking any other would be better.

Bee Emms have just as many problems, try looking at the G spot on ADV rider for details, and before anyone says, I know thats biased. Final Drive failures, 800GS just stops for no reason.  :shock:

KTM are a great bike off road, I would say they knock the Tiger into a cocked hat, but there is no way I would want to ride one more than about 100 miles, my hands were tingling after just 20. :wink:

I did 10,500 miles on my 05 Tig round Canada and Alaska last year and she never missed a beat, some you win some you lose.  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

John Stenhouse

If you do decide otherwise, I'll have the mirror extenders and the screen.  :)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

The Kurgan

And to join the pack of vultures  :lol: If you do decide to part ways with your Tiger, I might be interested in that subframe! Cheers
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]