News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proud Wife.....

Started by Tom Herold, February 24, 2009, 01:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

Here's my wife right before her first ride on her newly restored 96 Thunderbird.

Some of you might have read I found this 20k mile bike with a Corbin seat and custom paint on craigslist for $800. Having never ridden a motorcycle before, the previous owner bought it, trailered it home from North Carolina to Charleston, took it off the trailer, rode it down his driveway, across the street and right into a ditch.

He couldn't get it to restart, so he and a buddy shot starting fluid into the carbs causing it to sputter, but not fire off....... so he sends the carbs off to the dealer for a rebuild to the tune of $600, puts them back on and still nothing more than a sputter on starter fluid....... so he parks it in the garage for 8 months until his wife said "Fix it, or get rid of it!".

So he listed it, I found it, and here we are......

He broke the timing chain tensioner in the crash and scattered bits of it through the engine while trying to make it run again, so the engine is completely fresh to include the infamous starter sprag issue. I even rewired most of the factory harness and made sure to do the Sasquatch voltage mod too!!! I put about 100 miles on it fine tuning the carbs and breaking in the bearings and rings before handing it to the wife.

Yesterday she took her first ride around the block, then down the freeway a bit, then a 150 mile run out to Edisto Beach for lunch and back. It runs great and she still can't stop bragging and smiling, so life's good!

I will admit, that 885's one of the loudest engines I've ever heard in my life! When she's next to me at a stop, I can't hear the Tiger over the T-Birds rattle!!! It's a nice bike, now she has her triple too and is following in her dads footsteps. She's always been fond of his restored Tiger Cub, and he's happy as hell to see her on her "new" Triumph scooter!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

aeronca

kick ass. it looks great. many happy miles :hello2  :hello2
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

John Stenhouse

Lovely looker, well done, ride safe and enjoy
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

Nice work Tom, you have a great looking bike there that your wife is really going to enjoy riding.  :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tom Herold

Thanks all, I'm happy it came together and even happier the wife's taken a liking to it!  Now she has her Triumph Triple for the road trips and fun stuff, and her cruiser for beach rides and more laid back riding.

That puts her on par with me!  I have the Tiger and the Harley and she can't talk any more garbage about me owning more than one bike at a time!!!!!!

Now... about those wonderful little Street Triple 675's.... :love10
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

HappyMan

How cool of a story is this?  Great find, great bike!!!  Enjoy!b :thumbsup
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

haulin' daze

She's lookin' good! and the bike ain't bad either!   :love10

Tom Herold

Yep, she's a keeper......

And I guess  let my wife stick around a while longer too....... :ImaPoser
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton