News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

trany whine

Started by aeronca, April 04, 2009, 06:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

ok, so everybody was out of oil this week except "schucks". and they only had Mobile1 10w40(motorcycle synthetic). so i went ahead and got it. didn't think it would be a big deal, but last night on the way into work , and more so on the way home this morning, im hearing a noticable whine coming from my trany. now it is rather cold(in the low 30's). do you guy's think the heavier wheight oil is the cause? i have run this stuff before, but it was in the summer, and i know it never made this sound before the oil change. also,( the reason for the oil change was for a sprocket/chain r&r). i dont think the the new chain/sprockets would cause this, but - ???
 so again, what does the masses think?????????????????????????????  help a brother out.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

I either run mobil 1 10w 40 or rotella T and I don't notice a whine and I ride tigger 3 all year down to below zero temps , hehehe

perhaps you are hearing your chain , you don't have it too tight do you ?

aeronca

well, no the chain is set with about an inch of play at rest on the side stand. its just a different sound than im used to. usually its kinda like a turbo diesel sound when im at 60 to 70mph(chirpy), but this trumps that. and is in direct perportion to the speed of the bike(i.e., slower the bike, the lower the whine, faster = higher) maybe i'm freakin out, or, i should take out the ear plugs. tonight when i go in, i'll see if i can pin point the source.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

only an inch of play at rest on the sidestand is TOO TIGHT
you need at least 1 1/4 inch 1 1/2 is better

aeronca

i made a quick adjustment for a little more slack,. i'll see if this does the trick on the way to work tonight. thanks mustang 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

I use 20W50 year round in mine.  No more noises than usual. :lol:  I've found the only way way to keep my Tiger quiet is to take it apart and let it sin in the garage for months on end.

Also, check to make sure your chain rubstrip (the one that keeps the chain from wearing into the swingarm) is there and not chewed up/missing/worn through.  And then make sure the lower chain guide is in a similarly serviceable condition.
From parts unknown.

aeronca

is the lower chain guide the one you  replaced? i remember a thread a while back but cant find it.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

aeronca

found it http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... hain+guide, and yes, mine is hosed. fortunatly, i have access to the same aerospace stuff you do and will fab one up tonight.  thanks all :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Uh, yeah....I just replaced my teflon one with the stock one.  The chain is able to wear teflon faster than rubber.  Who would'a thunk, right? :lol:

The teflon one was really mean to tbe something I could use for a week until my dealer got my part in, but it has lasted many, many more miles than I designed it to. :wink:
From parts unknown.