News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlight switch help!

Started by mikethepsych, April 10, 2009, 08:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikethepsych

Bought my first Tiger 955i back in November and, apart from the odd ride out when the winter weather allowed, I've been happy just getting down to some serious "farkling".
 Amongst other mods and fixes, I also managed to get hold of a R/H switch block from a late model 885i. It's only a minor niggle but I do like to switch the lights off before starting her up, as it's kinder to the battery.

Anyway.....after some judicious head-scratching and late night poring over the wiring diagrams in my Haynes manual, I stripped the off-park-on headlight switch components + wiring out of the old switchblock. After removing the blanking plate on my bikes switch, I swapped the light switch internals over and threaded the wiring through some new heat-shrink sleeving and rewired the connector block as per the wiring diagram.

Plugged it all back together and everything worked as it should. After nipping out for a quick blat, my elation was found to be premature, when I used the dip/main switch. It promptly blew the 5A instuments/clock/lighting fuse . I briefly popped a 10A fuse in just to get me home and despite using main beam numerous times, it didn't blow again for the rest of the journey.

Naturally, I'm not too keen on leaving the 10A in, being reluctant to see my gorgeous Tigger burst into flames, so I was hoping that someone out there has experienced this before or has some idea of what might be happening.  

My Tiger has also had the headlight relay mod done (lights on as a pair) by her previous owner  and wondered if this was influencing anything too?   :(

Mustang

steamers use a 10 amp fuse on the clock and dash lights as standard  .FWIW