News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter Noise

Started by The Rhino, April 08, 2009, 06:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rhino

Hey everybody!  This is my first post so I thought I'd embarrass myself.  I've let my '95 Tigger sit for about 4 yrs.  I didn't do much in the way of storing it except for some Stabil in the tank.

This past weekend I put in a new battery, fresh plugs & fresh petrol.  It started with some hesitation.  Several times I shut it off....  During the starting it develped a noise, a loud klack-klack.  It reminds me of working the action on an AK-47.

Now for the embarrassing part.  Is this the 'sprag' I've seen different posts on?  Could some one please point me in the direction of the threads if so.  Merci une mille fois!

BTW Thanks for having me!

Mustang

Sounds like it ! pun intended , if it is indeed the sprag you won't have long before the engine will no longer turn over with the starter .

early versions of the 885 motor had an access cover that you could replace the sprag thru , but by 95 they had done away with the cover , you are looking at engine out, on the bench ,cases split to replace the sprag .................the part is just under 300 bucks from your dealer  :cry:

aeronca

hey mustang, on my 95' there is a small cover at the front of the end of the engine on the right side. would that be an access cover for the sprag? you can see a pic of it in the tiger gallery on page 3(steamer section)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "aeronca"hey mustang, on my 95' there is a small cover at the front of the end of the engine on the right side. would that be an access cover for the sprag? you can see a pic of it in the tiger gallery on page 3(steamer section)

nope the balancer is under that cover , they all (steamers) have that
the early ones had a cover that was held on by two bolts and allowed you to remove the sprag without having to split the cases .
see photo it was the top of the hump was removable .

aeronca

any idea why they got away from that?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Quote from: "aeronca"any idea why they got away from that?

Yeah, they fired the Japanese engineer and brought in the guy who designed my 98. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

$$$$$$
CHEAPER TO PRODUCE WITHOUT IT . IS THE ONLY LOGICAL REASON !

When you have a early one parked side by side with a later one you can see all kinds of places they cut corners to reduce the cost of production .