News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'06 Tiger rim swap 17/19 to 18/21

Started by DRB Imagery, May 02, 2009, 06:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRB Imagery

Has anyone attempted this, would sure give alot more choices for rubber

johnnyadventurepants

I've been pretty impressed with the tires available for Tigers.  Wide range from pure road to mostly offroad.  What tires were you interested in?  I think some other tires look tempting, but aren't really made for a big heavy bike.  I'm glad that the more popular vstroms and bmw have the same tire size, otherwise I think we would have a lot fewer choices!
\'99 Tiger 885i

FullMonte

Save the hardcore off road stuff for the XR.  I've had my Tiger in several situations where I asked myself "WTF I am doing riding through this loose stuff on this top heavy bitch?" :shock:  Being 1500+ miles from home didn't help either. :lol:    The bike will do it but the rider has to pick his line carefully while maintaining momentum.  Due to the Tiger's heft, suspension, and ground clearance, I don't think 18/21 tires will help much.  Stock sized TKCs do work surprisingly well.  The most important thing to remember is to air down the tires.   I have a 650 for the really rough stuff.  Right tool for the job and all that.

DRB Imagery

Quote from: "johnnyadventurepants"I've been pretty impressed with the tires available for Tigers.  Wide range from pure road to mostly offroad.  What tires were you interested in?  I think some other tires look tempting, but aren't really made for a big heavy bike.  I'm glad that the more popular vstroms and bmw have the same tire size, otherwise I think we would have a lot fewer choices!

there is very little in the range of good dirt tires,,TKC's which I have and Karoos, both expensive,,,with 21/18 you can run any type of MX tire for cheap in the dirt, I run anakees for the long haul road stuff, theres alot of great stuff out there that doesnt come in 17 or 19