News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork drain screws - what years got'm

Started by DesertDog, May 27, 2009, 12:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

Got a question for the hard core boys.  My 97 has no drain screws on the bottom of the fork tubes.  So the forks have to come off the bike to change fluid.  I thought that was the case for all the Steamer Tigers but did a 24k service on a 95 this winter and by golly molly it had drain screws.  
Since then I have been looking close at the pics of steamers and have seen 97 and 98 with and without and 95 and 96 with the drains.

So what gives?  Anybody know the history behind my little mystery?  Two different manufactures?  Drains monday thru thursday, none on friday?

:shock:

thanks

Mustang

It was a cost savings thing

The early steamers had triumph spec forks made by Kayaba
and the 98 model year had the showa rear shock and I believe the forks were made for triumph to their specs by Showa
maybe your bike got a set of 98 forks if it was made close enough to the start of the 98 model year production run