News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not starting any more

Started by hobie, April 17, 2009, 03:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiggerTigger

All done.  Glad I had the suggestions fro Hobie at hand.

hobie

There are at least 2 other steamers in Toronto.  I saw a black one once, and ran into a woman who claimed to have a red one.
I may go to the Tiger ride-in in Michigan this August.  If you're going, we could meet up.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.

hobie

After about a whole trouble-free month, my starting problem is back.  Of course, it had to reoccur 500 miles from home.  Fortunately, I can start it by shorting the starter relay terminals, so I could get home.
The strange thing is that it starts 4 out of 5 times when stopping for gas or lunch and restarting it.  One time, after filling it up, the starter switch would not work at all at the pump after many tries, but I pushed it 20 feet away (before attempting to create sparks) and hit it again and it started immediately.  I have taken the switch apart again to look at the terminals, but they are fine.  I was also avoiding using the kill switch and only use the key so I doubt that is the culprit.  
I am wondering if just turning the handle bars is causing an intermittent break in the starter wire.  My question is: if I have to cut off the plastic sheath around the wire bundle, what can I use to replace it?
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.