News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Angle of Dangle

Started by Nick Calne, May 20, 2009, 12:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Does your steamer seem to lean over excessively on the sidestand?  Mine leans further than other triumph bikes, (by miles) but as I'm the only steamer owner I know, it hard to compare.  Makes it a heavy lump to get back to vertical in order to get on....

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/22539834.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/22540042.jpg

Any thoughts?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

Yep , bent kickstand ............they all do it eventually .

Damn thing costs almost a 100 bucks and will bend like a limp noodle .

you can heat it with a torch and rebend it till the bike sits at the angle of the dangle you want

Dr. Mordo

This thread reminds me-

My centerstand peg broke off completely.  Mustang, when you welded yours back on, exactly what type of weld did you use and did you worry about frying the bike?

Remember in Long Way Round when they weld Claudio's frame and fry the ABS system in the process?  I don't want to do that.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

I've never had a centerstand on my 98 since new ..just bent side stands  :ImaPoser

I have welded on the bike b4 though and If I can remember correctly I unhooked the battery and all was well

Dr. Mordo

Ok, thanks.

Was that MIG, TIG or what?  I know very little about welding, but I'd like to know what to ask the welder for.

Thanks again!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

aeronca

my dangle mysteriously bent at a kawasaki dealer - imagin that. no one new what happened. oh well, it doesnt look to hard to make a new one, but what material do you guy's think i should use?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Ok, thanks.

Was that MIG, TIG or what?  I know very little about welding, but I'd like to know what to ask the welder for.

Thanks again!

I used a mig welder but the welder guy will know what's best for what you want done

Dr. Mordo

1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Remember in Long Way Round when they weld Claudio's frame and fry the ABS system in the process?  I don't want to do that.

ABS?  :lol:  :lol:  sorry couldn't resist.

Mig would be fine for the stand tube, disconnect the battery as Mustang says and get a good clean earth on the broken part still attached to the bike.

Personally I would prefer to remove the side stand entirely, not so much for stray currents but more to ensure that the you can position the parts to make a good weld easier to achieve.

Trying to weld on what is a pretty thin bit of tube, that has been bent and broken upside down on the floor partially under a bike is not the best way, very easy to blow a hole in it and not so easy to recover from.

Welding an extra bit of flat bar on the accute side of the bend will help make the leg stiffer, since after a repair like this the stand leg is never going to be as strong as it was originally.

That's been done on mine by a previous owner, I don't want to post up a pick as the welding is embarassing even though it's not mine.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Dr. Mordo

Thanks for the tips, I was certainly planning on having him weld another piece of metal on to strengthen the weld.  

I know I should, but I don't know if I can bring myself to pull the stand; it's kind of a pain in the ass.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Going to have to take mine off in the near future as I am pretty sure that either the pivot pin and or the bush is badly worn too.

Swing the stand out (not completely smooth or slick) put the bike over till the pad contacts the ground, lower the weight onto it and the pad slides outward another 50mm before the whole weight is taken.  :shock:

F%%%%& or not, what do you think :wink:

To make matters worse she doesn't have a centre stand.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

The lean on my '97 worried me when I first got it.  I considered having it fixed but now am glad I didn't.  The Tiger is tall.  I put wood of various thicknesses underneath to see what angle I wanted.  I then realized that changing the lean angle made it more difficult to get on the mc.  You might want to put something under the stand to test how difficult it is getting on with the new lean angle.  Of course, when I come out to find the mc on its left side with a broken sidestand, I may reconsider my choice.

Mr. Jetmoto

Mind used to lean way over, then I laid it down in gravel and it bent the other way. Perfect now! :D