News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear axle nut size?

Started by TigerLady, May 30, 2009, 11:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerLady

I hope this isn't as stupid of a question as it seems to me....I can't seem to find the size of the rear axle nut in the owner's manual or the Haynes manual.

Anyone know?

Thanks!!

Rhonda

Stretch

On my 2005,

27mm... 1-1/16 inches.  Same same.

TigerLady

Thanks Stretch...

I was trying to do a chain adjustment without a centerstand.  I looked like a 3 legged monkey with dyslexia trying to jack it up.  

Now I'm off to order a centerstand.  and a 27mm wrench.

Stretch

Centerstands are nice to have, but are not required for chain adjustments.  Just loosen the axle and use the locator bolts (or eccentric, depending on the year model) to tighten or loosen the chain.

If I may... avoid the Triumph centerstand.  It's not as strong as it ought to be.  Several folks here have reported the bolts loosening and the legs themselves bending.

I've heard no such complaints regarding the SW-Motech stand, available from TwistedThrottle.com

iansoady

If it has the rear eccentrics (ie wire wheel model) then you don't need to (read definitely should not) slacken the spindle to adjust the chain as you'll lose wheel alignment.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

Quote from: "iansoady"If it has the rear eccentrics (ie wire wheel model) then you don't need to (read definitely should not) slacken the spindle to adjust the chain as you'll lose wheel alignment.

Gotcha.